PDA

View Full Version : They're here!

Rue
04-05-2011, 03:24 PM
I can finally say...I have tarantulas. :clap: It's been a month since I ordered them...but held off shipping until I was sure it would be warm enough overnight.

So I now have:

L. violaceopes
G. pulchra
P. irminia and - as a bonus (Thank You T. Canada!)
B. albopilosum

I wasn't sure how big they would be in real life, so I put them in temporary housing until I figure out what will work best. I didn't want someone escaping through a ventilation hole.

And you guys were right...wow! Are they ever FAST. Despite the care I took, both the L. violaceopes and the P. irminia managed to make a run for it...

I will leave them for a day or so to settle...then try feeding them...and then rehouse as necessary...

A couple of photos...with my point and shoot (and yes, I know the photos suck).

Rue
04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
...and the temporary Rubbermaid housing...

Lolita
04-05-2011, 03:36 PM
congrats p irminias are on my wishlist bad depending on the size of your slings those rubbermaids should work for a decent amount of time

Rue
04-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks! The P. irminia is so pretty...even at this miniscule size!

I won't have any trouble telling them apart...they are each quite distinctive.

sssargent1977
04-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Awesome! I just got my T's too one being the Sun tiger as well and they are very impressive!

Rue
04-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks! I'm looking forward to watching them all grow...er, and get easier to see...:D

lord lionheart
04-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Me too!! I just got mine 30 minutes ago, they're tiny LOL. Arrived in similar vials to yours and are in similar set ups. I got 2 T's, a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and a Brachypelma boehmei. The chroma is way faster and moes, but he is .75 " compred to the .5" boehmi

Rue
04-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Congrats on your shipment! Did you post pics?

RJ2
04-05-2011, 05:15 PM
I like those little rubbermaids!

lord lionheart
04-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Congrats on your shipment! Did you post pics?

No. There's not much to see. I did take one of the a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens , but it's through the plastic containers and not that great. I may throw it up in the gallery just for starters

Rue
04-05-2011, 07:34 PM
I like those little rubbermaids!

Thanks! They're quite sturdy. I poked 9 little holes in the top lid...hopefully that will do for the short-term.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

No. There's not much to see. I did take one of the a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens , but it's through the plastic containers and not that great. I may throw it up in the gallery just for starters

Post them anyway...even if they're not the best, it's nice to see what everyone else is doing.

I'll leave the superb photography to the superb photographers on this board (they all know who they are...lol).

NikiP
04-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Congrats :) Nice package you got, eventually i'll get around to getting a L. violaceopes :D

Just a tip to help with the speed (because I can't remember what you already have), get the P. irminia & the L. violaceopes containers that are about 2x as tall, at least. Filled them about half way with substrate & poke a fake plant stem/leaf down there (silk flower, aquarium plant, etc.) Both your speedy demons will burrow down & most likely will retreat when disturbed, which should cut down on the mad dashes ;)

Rue
04-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Congrats :) Nice package you got, eventually i'll get around to getting a L. violaceopes :D

Just a tip to help with the speed (because I can't remember what you already have), get the P. irminia & the L. violaceopes containers that are about 2x as tall, at least. Filled them about half way with substrate & poke a fake plant stem/leaf down there (silk flower, aquarium plant, etc.) Both your speedy demons will burrow down & most likely will retreat when disturbed, which should cut down on the mad dashes ;)

Thanks! I will do that. Make opening the cage for feedings a little less dramatic! {D

web eviction
04-05-2011, 11:35 PM
My L. Violaceopes was about that size when I got him back in October now he is around 3.5 inches very fast mine is very blue now but pretty sure its a boy

Mojo Jojo
04-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Actually, the photos were fine. Are you going to keep a photo diary of their growth? That's probably my favorite part of the hobby.

Hobo
04-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Congrats on the new Ts, finally!

astraldisaster
04-06-2011, 03:51 AM
Aww, they're so tiny! Congrats. :) Definitely post pics as they grow.

Rue
04-06-2011, 09:56 AM
My L. Violaceopes was about that size when I got him back in October now he is around 3.5 inches very fast mine is very blue now but pretty sure its a boy

This is the T I wanted the most. So I hope mine's a girl...but if not, it's okay too. If I find I can't live without a female, I can always try again...:D

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

Actually, the photos were fine. Are you going to keep a photo diary of their growth? That's probably my favorite part of the hobby.

Thanks and good idea! I should try and take a picture after each moult...I did that with my kids for a while (well, monthly photos during their first year, not after they moulted).

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Congrats on the new Ts, finally!

Thank you!

I was so excited to see that that tiny B. albopilosum spent the night digging itself a tiny burrow. The others all look fine too. The P. irminia actually 'ran' at me when I lifted the little Rubbermaid to check it out. Wonder how that bodes for the future? :D

...and the G. pulchra doesn't look like it moved at all...

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Aww, they're so tiny! Congrats. :) Definitely post pics as they grow.

Thanks! I'll do my best. I'll see if I can borrow/find a slightly better camera.

Satu
04-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Ooh, tarantulas at last! Congrats, and enjoy your little beasties!

Rue
04-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks. It was the longest wait to get them! Now I just want to rush home and watch them not move. LOL...

I wonder how long before the novelty wears off?{D

lord lionheart
04-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks! They're quite sturdy. I poked 9 little holes in the top lid...hopefully that will do for the short-term.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Post them anyway...even if they're not the best, it's nice to see what everyone else is doing.

I'll leave the superb photography to the superb photographers on this board (they all know who they are...lol).

I put a couple of pictures up. I guess you can click on the images link under my name to the left.

Rue
04-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Those are decent! I can see all the details! Cute!

I love how they're so small...yet you can see their 'adult' features.

Raising them is going to be so much fun.

ZergFront
04-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Congrats! I truely understand your excitement. I'm like a kid on Christmas when my spiders arrive; even when I paid for it unlike a present. :D

P.irminia are one of those spiders I cannot get enough of. I can have multiple and still want more. Same with the L.violaceopes and Chromatopelma.

Rue
04-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks! The P. irminia is so colourful already! The others are cute because they're such miniaturized versions of the big guys. Be nice to see their colour develop though.

Well, I started by being cautious with the feeding. I pulled a leg off a pinhead cricket for the B. albopilosum...but I can't tell if it ate it or not. However, once I saw the sizes, I figured they're all big enough to handle an entire cricket.

So I gave one to the P. irminia...holey smoke! Was it ever fast...I missed the 'kill'. :worship:

Then I gave another to the L. violaceopes...same thing...:worship:

The G. pulchra didn't move at all last night...but when I checked this morning it was standing over what was left of its cricket (dried up cricket ball)...:worship:

...and the cricket in the B. albopilosum container was still alive and uneaten...so the T might not be hungry yet, or maybe it did eat the leg and was full...:rolleyes:

I feel better now, knowing that they will eat.

malevolentrobot
04-07-2011, 04:08 PM
So I gave one to the P. irminia...holey smoke! Was it ever fast...I missed the 'kill'. :worship:

Then I gave another to the L. violaceopes...same thing...:worship:

The G. pulchra didn't move at all last night...but when I checked this morning it was standing over what was left of its cricket (dried up cricket ball)...:worship:

...and the cricket in the B. albopilosum container was still alive and uneaten...so the T might not be hungry yet, or maybe it did eat the leg and was full...:rolleyes:

I feel better now, knowing that they will eat.

congrats on getting your slings!

this pretty much sounds like them respectively. my irminia pounced at everything, ate and ate like mad, until it hit about 3", then tapered off to more normal feedings. still has quite the bum though. pulchra can be hit or miss. mine ate like mad until the last moult, now its doing the runway model rosea thing :wall:. i remember in a previous pulchra thread many people commenting theirs were voracious eaters.

my smaller b. albos are probaly about the size of yours, and i have another bigger one i raised from a similar size. it only takes one, maybe two pinheads to fill them and have them refuse from then on out until moult from what i've seen so far. they'll get better appetites, the 1.5" bigger one has been quite the piggy lately ;)

Rue
04-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Thanks! Good to know they're normal.:D

Now I have to decide whether to buy 4 crickets a week or set up the cricket keeper again, at least for while they're little. I need to re-establish my mealworm colony...so once that gets going again I'll always have some food source on hand...

malevolentrobot
04-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks! Good to know they're normal.:D

Now I have to decide whether to buy 4 crickets a week or set up the cricket keeper again, at least for while they're little. I need to re-establish my mealworm colony...so once that gets going again I'll always have some food source on hand...

i keep waxworms on hand i pop in and out of the fridge every couple days that i cut in half when i can't get/produce small enough dubia nymphs. i have yet to have anything that found half of one too big (including ant sized albos and a tiny trues like, baby jumpers and S. triangulosa).

i absolutely hate dealing with crickets, even pinheads. i assume smaller mealworms would work in the same fashion. not the greatest food all the time, but they normally will take them. i like giving a varied diet, since dealing with a picky euathlus sp. and my versi. even if it means suffering crickets once in a while.

Rue
04-09-2011, 05:08 PM
I don't mind the crickets. When they're bigger I can try some waxworms too.

I also have my Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. But the colony is small at the moment, and the babies are currently too big...so that's out. But I certainly can give them the odd roach when there's a new hatch.

Three ate again today...very enthusiastically!

The B. albopilosum hasn't touched his previously cricket though.

JuGGaL0K0W
04-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Congrats Rue on finally getting your order, very nice pics.

Rue
04-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks! I wish I could take some of those awesome close-ups though...be nice to see some details! :D

synic
04-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Whoa, you got a P. irminia as a bonus? I have mixed feelings about freebies at this point. When I ordered mine, the seller told me that I'd be getting a freebie.

However, for people with a small collection like me, who have limited space, and have planned for a certain number of Ts, a freebie can be kind of scary. How did you feel about getting yours?

Now, I'm not saying I'm against freebies. It must be an awesome surprise if you've already got a bunch of Ts, and I'm glad I was warned before I got mine... however, it does seem like a strange product to have freebies associated with it :)

Rue
04-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Whoa, you got a P. irminia as a bonus? I have mixed feelings about freebies at this point. When I ordered mine, the seller told me that I'd be getting a freebie.

However, for people with a small collection like me, who have limited space, and have planned for a certain number of Ts, a freebie can be kind of scary. How did you feel about getting yours?

Now, I'm not saying I'm against freebies. It must be an awesome surprise if you've already got a bunch of Ts, and I'm glad I was warned before I got mine... however, it does seem like a strange product to have freebies associated with it :)

Well, I ordered 3, so one more isn't an issue. But it was the B. albopilosum that was the freebie. Not the P. irminia.

There is a higher attrition rate with babies too. I hope all 4 of mine make it, but they may not...and if so, I still will hopefully have some!

Mojo Jojo
04-10-2011, 12:04 PM
You can always sell or trade your freebie if you don't have the room. :D

synic
04-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Well, I ordered 3, so one more isn't an issue. But it was the B. albopilosum that was the freebie. Not the P. irminia.

There is a higher attrition rate with babies too. I hope all 4 of mine make it, but they may not...and if so, I still will hopefully have some!

What size are they all? They look pretty big, except for that one in the first picture. I hope they all make it too!

Which one is that last one? It's got some cool looking legs!

Rue
04-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks! I'm not sure on the sizes. I reserved tem about 6 weeks ago, and I'm sure they've grown (it was too cold to ship). Two are quite large...maybe an inch now?

That last photo (blurry) with the stripy legs is the P. irminia...

Rue
04-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Well finally! The poor cricket is 'gone' from the B. albopilosum container. A close (I wear bifocals, so it's not so easy) search revealed the cricket is in the bottom of the burrow. At least now I know the tiny T is fine and can catch, AND drag it's prey to the bottom of the 'cave'. :worship:

Now someone needs to undergo the first moult to make me feel good. ;) I'm betting on the P. irminia...its not moving at all today but its definately alive.

smoothie4l
04-12-2011, 01:53 PM
...and the temporary Rubbermaid housing...

AWESOME! I love B, albopilosums!! they are great starter T's and have a very docile temper! Try handling it once it is older!

Rue
04-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks! Hopefully I actually see it again one day! ;)

malevolentrobot
04-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Now someone needs to undergo the first moult to make me feel good. ;) I'm betting on the P. irminia...its not moving at all today but its definately alive.

patience, even tiny ant sized slings can take weeks to moult...
(dang albos!)

Rue
04-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks! No moulting yet! I was confusing (and getting excited about) resting with pre-moult! :D

Fed them again yesterday. All ate right away except for the B. albopilosum.

Abdomens are very fat on the P. irminia and the G. pulchra. The L. violaceopes has a svelter physique...and the B. albopilosum is holed up in its burrow...I can just make out where it is and that
its alive...so that's fine...

Rue
04-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Woohoo! The B. albopilosum was out and about for a nano-second...and it ate a 2nd cricket! Then it scurried back down it's mini-burrow. It's building a teeny-tiny underground condo complex from what I can tell.

No one's moulted, but they have all grown.

I think I'm going to move the G. pulchra and the L. violaceopes to their 'cubes. They're too big to get out of the ventilation holes now. The G. pulchra doesn't like the substrate in the Rubbermaid container (its been on the side since I got it), so I'll keep the substrate in the cube drier and give it a dish of water. The L. violceopes needs a stick or bark now, and there's no room in the Rubbermaid to put one in (that will be big enough).

I'll leave the other two in the Rubbermaid for the time being.

Hobo
04-18-2011, 02:43 PM
They only grow when they molt, unless you mean the girth of their abdomen.
I'd hold off rehousing them if they look like they can squeeze their carapace through the ventilation holes. They'll manage to squeeze through, or worse, get stuck halfway.

I've read some threads of slings doing just that, one on a lid, and one in that little hole at the bottom of a ceramic flower pot. I believe one or both ended up dying. I'll see if I can dig up those threads for you.

EDIT:

Found the flower pot hole one (http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=71793).
And here's the one stuck in a ventilation hole (http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=111861).

So yeah, no need to risk escapes, or deaths. Wait until they grow(molt) if you think they might be able to squeeze through.

Rue
04-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Eee! Thanks! Maybe I should hold off until the first moult...

Yes...their abdomens are huge (relative to what they were). I'm feeding 2X a week.

Rue
04-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Updates aren't the most exciting T activity are they? :wicked:

No changes! Everyone is eating 2X a week. They're all quite fat. No one has moulted.

The most exciting thing happened yesterday evening. I was short one cricket (one died) so I caught an otitid (we're on an acerage, I wasn't worried about pesticides this early in the season, nor particularily concerned about parasites) for the B. albopilosum and put it in the container.

It was the first time it came out of it's condominium complex all week - but it caught the fly, dragged it back to it's burrow and munched on it. I'm happy to see it active and looking good!

Now if only someone would hurry up and moult...I'd feel more confident about rearing them...;)

Jerome.h
04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
congrats bro!!
i have my spiderlings a month ago too.
they r good eater, just wondering when will hey moult? haha
black patch at the abdomen for quite awhile aready!
btw what do you feed your spiderling this size?
i feed it meal worms, they seem to llike them. crickets here are too big for them.
there's no way i can get mini crickets here.
occasionally i feed them crickets leg, but missed the ACTION. so i just feed mealworms,
any recomendation for food?

Najakeeper
04-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Updates aren't the most exciting T activity are they? :wicked:

No changes! Everyone is eating 2X a week. They're all quite fat. No one has moulted.

The most exciting thing happened yesterday evening. I was short one cricket (one died) so I caught an otitid (we're on an acerage, I wasn't worried about pesticides this early in the season, nor particularily concerned about parasites) for the B. albopilosum and put it in the container.

It was the first time it came out of it's condominium complex all week - but it caught the fly, dragged it back to it's burrow and munched on it. I'm happy to see it active and looking good!

Now if only someone would hurry up and moult...I'd feel more confident about rearing them...;)

Friendly advice after feeding a wild caught cricket to a beautiful Pamphobeteus juvi and watching him suffer with a nematode infection, do not use wild caught insects as prey items. Never again for me...

Rue
04-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Normally I'd feed store-bought pinheads...these guys haven't had any trouble with their size. Later on I'll mix it up a bit with mealworms and waxworms.

I wonder if wild crickets are more prone to nematode infections than flies would be?

I also wonder how the parasite load of wild insects varies regionally?

But yes...I wouldn't recommend wild-caught food either. I'm being (hopefully) careful when I do it myself. So do what I say, not what I do...;)

Najakeeper
04-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Really it is very painful to see the T's mouth foam up with worms. And I only fed her just one WC prey item. Jackpot...:(

I believe wild animals have some resistance to nematodes as they live with them out there, on the other hand our CB babies have been raised in clean environments with no parasites so their immune systems can not deal with them. Also, parasites can infect multiple specimens when they get into your collection via cross contamination and devastate entire collections. (This has happened!)

So I don't even trust store bought feeders when it comes to my babies. I have two roach colonies that feeds everyone.