Some more pics of my carnivorous plants

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The plants have been growing well as of late....

Nepenthes hamata...a plant with teeth....

N x miranda

N.spectabilis

N.ampullaria

Cephalotus follicarius

Heliamphora nutans

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
COOOOL, I remember when you first got the follicarius, you were fired up, they are hard to get. I'm interested, I think that's why I remebered.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are these like a venus fly trap? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I am not a plant person. Though, I might be interested in some of these.

My personal favorites are the first three. All of them are awesome though!

Thanks for sharing.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are these like a venus fly trap? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I am not a plant person. Though, I might be interested in some of these.

My personal favorites are the first three. All of them are awesome though!

Thanks for sharing.
Well..they are like a flytrap in the fact that they eat insects to get their fertillizer, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends. And you should get some..they aren't that hard to grow once you do the proper research...well, some of them are kinda hard, but most are fairly easy.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

greenhouse, terrarium or window?
I grow them in a special greehouse chamber I built in my basement....here is a pic inside it...

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Exo,

Always like your plant pics. I am very impressed by what you have produced.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Exo,

Always like your plant pics. I am very impressed by what you have produced.
Thank you! it's one of my greatest passions in life, and I have put alot of work into getting my setup just right. :)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice. The Cephalotus follicarius is so cute! I can't tell where trap pit begins and rest of the plant ends!

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Thank you! it's one of my greatest passions in life, and I have put alot of work into getting my setup just right. :)
You and I would get along great. I can't wait to post pics of my flower beds this summer. This is the first summer in my house where I can focus on planting rather than removing old bushes and stuff. As it is I am eager to plant some of the 800 some odd seedlings I have started inside.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You and I would get along great. I can't wait to post pics of my flower beds this summer. This is the first summer in my house where I can focus on planting rather than removing old bushes and stuff. As it is I am eager to plant some of the 800 some odd seedlings I have started inside.
Yeah, I have a huge flower garden too..and a veggie garden..and an orchard....see a theme here? {D

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

My favorite text is Savage Garden on the topic:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BTN4808MDAP1FZBQHDT

It was written by the owner of http://www.californiacarnivores.com/

In any case, with a little humidity and paying attention to some minor details, they're pretty straight forward, Nepenthes that is.

Have any flowered in your care yet? I was trying to figure out if the tendency for males to show up is true with other keepers. Great pictures by the way!
I have never flowered a nepenthes, but I know many who have...and yes, as it turns out, most nepenthes are indeed male.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Think you could write up a quick do-it-yourself for that mini greenhouse you built them? I have horrible luck growing nepenthes in New England but no troubles at all here in Brisbane. I'm sure its a light issue so knowing what you use would be wonderful.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Think you could write up a quick do-it-yourself for that mini greenhouse you built them? I have horrible luck growing nepenthes in New England but no troubles at all here in Brisbane. I'm sure its a light issue so knowing what you use would be wonderful.
For lighting I use a sunblaze 48 T5 fixture, in a chamber in my basement made of showercurtains with a lumber frame. Also inside the frame is a table with the plants on it, and a ultrasonic humidifier and a small occillating fan.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

A Few more pics.....

N.vogelii

N.veitchii

D.rotundifolia

D.multifida

N.alata

N.ovata

N.jacquelineae

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Exo,

How well do you think some of these plants would hold up in a wardian-style setup?

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Exo,

How well do you think some of these plants would hold up in a wardian-style setup?
Most Nepenthes would do fairly well in such a setup when small, assuming it was in a well lit room, especially some of the smaller lowland species such as N.bellii and N.gracilis. A few sundews would do well too..especially D.prolifera and D.adeleae

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most Nepenthes would do fairly well in such a setup when small, assuming it was in a well lit room, especially some of the smaller lowland species such as N.bellii and N.gracilis. A few sundews would do well too..especially D.prolifera and D.adeleae
I agree. I've set up many a Nepenthes or sundew jar. I've had 2cm Nepenthes cuttings take off in a sealed carboy jar with no care besides the proper lighting. They were massive within a few months.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, great. I'll start researching.

Exo, what do you feed all your carnivores?

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, great. I'll start researching.

Exo, what do you feed all your carnivores?
Well..that depends.....

Typically, I use crickets of varying sizes, from pinheads for sundews up to adults for my larger nepenthes. I also have been known to kindap unassuming and tasy looking bugs I happen to come accross outside on occasion. The plants I grow outdoors, such as venus flytraps and sarracienia catch their own prey so effectivly that I don't even bother feeding those.