Heat lamp?

scorpionguy77

Arachnopeon
I just got a new "gooseneck" heat lamp for my Emperor tank, its set up to carry at most a 150 watt bulb and I have a 100 watt R-Zilla brand black night heat incandescent bulb in it. BUT there is like an electrical burning smell.....does a brand new lamp have a breaking in smell, like all the parts are getting used for the first time and need to be "seasoned" (sorry 18 years in the restaurant industry, all I can think of is grill terminology) or is there another issue and I need to be concerned about the damn thing bursting into flames??????

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is there a sticker you forgot to peel off on the inside of the lamp?

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Well, if you are worried, you can use an alternative (if that is an option) such as a space heater that uses less energy and warms the entire room. Or you can just get a heating pad and stick it onto the side of the enclosure. I would be careful in any situation when using a heating device. The only advice I can give is that it will probably grow too hot if left on too long. I, like you, would be worried about the smell but it should be alright. Be careful!

scorpionguy77

Arachnopeon
Is there a sticker you forgot to peel off on the inside of the lamp?
There is one sticker inside and two on the outside and the way that thing gets hot, it very well couldve been the adhesive on the stickers, I can see that.

Well, if you are worried, you can use an alternative (if that is an option) such as a space heater that uses less energy and warms the entire room. Or you can just get a heating pad and stick it onto the side of the enclosure. I would be careful in any situation when using a heating device. The only advice I can give is that it will probably grow too hot if left on too long. I, like you, would be worried about the smell but it should be alright. Be careful!
Honestly, I have been using a space heater AND a heat mat on the side of the tank since I have had the scorpions. It's the space heater I am trying to rid myself of because, believe it or not, a small space heater running about 80% of the day made my electric bill almost triple monthly. More than running 5 air conditioners 24 hours a day 7 days a week during the summer. I didn't believe it either and it still doesn't make sense to me but the customer service rep swears that is it and that he gets the same unbelieving phone calls every winter. BUT it is getting warmer out, combined with the cost it seems to be creating to run, the space heater is going to become unnecessary. However, I do live in PA and it is still quite cold here, even now, and our nights are FREEZING so I have to make sure the tank is heated well. Even running the new clamp heater for about 5 hours today seemed to not affect the temp in the tank AT ALL. The screen top wasn't even hot. I am thinking the heater is defective, which is my luck.