Orange Blue

Shellob

Arachnopeon
So encouraged by the help you guys have been, I have splashed out and bought another T.

In the shop it was called a Orange Blue, its a spiderling, and an arborial critter according to the shop.

Can anyone elaborate?

Shellob

Arachnopeon
it is about 1 inch in size, has yellow legs and currently a patterened abdomen. Id post a pic but I doubt my camera could cope, ill go see.

Shellob

Arachnopeon
thanks, why the different names for same spiders? Possible a uk/us thing?

Well, thanks for the info, ill go read the threads on this critter now :)

and the most important thing is the "do not Handle" label I will attach to its home.

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Shellob
thanks, why the different names for same spiders? Possible a uk/us thing?
No, just the evil of common names.

What you have more specifically is a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (often misspelled cyanopubescens). Common names are only widely standardised for a few species and even that is no guarantee a pet store will label them as such. The GBB is usually called as such, but, then again, it's not commonly available in pet stores.

If at all possible, always purchase according to the Linnaen (aka scientific) species name, or at least familiarise enough with the oft butchered common names to have a clue what you're buying. Just going by what a pet store tells you is kind of like trusting a garbage man for advice on oncogenic drug therapy in most cases.

Last edited: