Dry Condition Scorpions

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am thinking of getting another scorpion, as my 2" Emperor died from unknown causes after a molt, but my guess is humidity. Are there any scorpions, (that aren't deadly;) ) that thrive in dry conditions like 30-50% humidity? I really know very little about scorpions except what i read in a care book i bought about them, as I am into the tarantulas alot more. Oh, i wouldn't mind a larger species as well if there is indeed that much choice.

Thanks,

Mark

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hadrurus arizonensis or spadix are good bets. They can get to be 6-7 inches long, are a beautiful yellow colour and are generall easy to care for. They thrive in 50-60% humidity.

Aidan

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
also A. philidactulys (dunno how to spell) or mafia scorpion is a desert specis and they have a great attitude.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
H.arizonensis get to 5-5.5 inches max.

John
];')

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
do mafia scorps have stong venom. if so then how much stronger

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
No their venom is not that dangerous...probably on the order of Hadrurus or less.

The only potentially dangerous scorpions in the US/Canada are C.exilicauda though C.vittatus is reported to be fairly strong though not as bad as C.exilicauda.

John
];')

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Okay, sorry, I heard a few people had pretty large ones of that length, I guess I was mistaken.

Aidan

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
There may be a couple of record holders that approach 6 inches but the most common size you will see is in the 4-5 inch range.

John
];')

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are there any dead giveaways that tell if a scorp is adult or not? Other than size?

biznacho

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
If it's a female and gives birth. :D

There are methods to check for sexual maturity but you would need a disecting microscope and would most likely have to disect the scorpion.

John
];')