*PIC* Lucihormetica sp. ex. Venezuela

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Too bad....they are really cool though. I wouldn't mind keeping a colony or those but I'd love to get ahold of the glowing roaches. :D

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Buspirone

Too bad....they are really cool though. I wouldn't mind keeping a colony or those but I'd love to get ahold of the glowing roaches. :D
they don't need to glow – tarantulas will also find their food in the dark! ;P

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I doubt I'd feed the glowing species to my Ts if I could find them. I found that I rather enjoy raising roaches and watching them even though my original intent on keeping them was for tarantula food. Thanks for sharing the pics, I enjoyed seeing them!

ROACHMAN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ROACHES

those were the roaches that were in the contest name that nymph where have you all been sleeping :? :? :? :?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Where'd you get the Luci thing from? I love Luci?
The Genus is Hormetica.
Looks like Hormetica verrucosa (Brunner) but of course you can't be certain from a photo.
I know some people are keeping the Hormetica subcincta, it's cool another species in that genus is around. How about getting Brachycola sexnotata?

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by MantidAssassins

The Genus is Hormetica.
Hormetica? I was told the genus name is Lucihormetica – but I do know almost nothing about roaches.

all the best,
Martin

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
No problem, just letting you know it looks like you've got Hormetica verrucosa (either way Hormetica not luci).
Beautiful animals, you'll let us know when you have some for sale in a year or so I imagine.

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

The Genus is Hormetica.
Got today the paper of a recently described species: Lucihormetica grossei n. sp.

In this paper is mentioned that the genus Lucihormetica has been established and split from the genus Hormetica by ZOMPRO & FRITSCHE in 1999 because Lucihormetica males possess two "glow organs" and differences in the genital structure.
  • FRITZSCHE, I. (2003): Lucihormetica grossei n. sp. eine neue Art der "Leuchtschaben" aus Venezuela (Dictyoptera: Blaberidae: Brachycolini). Arthropoda 11(4): 7-13.
all the best,
Martin

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I'm not trying to make you feel silly but you are quoting a hobbyist magazine, not a peer-reviewed scientific journal. It's the same as if you decided to make up your own genus here on the message board. Keep in mind your paper is by the same person who made up the new genus which does not lend to credibility.
I can e-mail some microphotographs of Hormetica male genitalia and you're welcome to figure out what would presume a different genus.

There is a genus Parahormetica if it makes you feel any better.

You had tricked me into thinking you were looking for real answers. I won't be fooled again.

"There may come a point in taxonomy where common names, however numerous or silly, are just as useful."

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello MantidAssassins,

I'm not trying to make you feel silly but you are quoting a hobbyist magazine, not a peer-reviewed scientific journal.
I know the problems of peer-reviewed journals vs. non-peer-reviewed hobbyist magazines very well from the theraphosid scene =:-( and don't want to start a general discussion about it here. But as long as the rules of nomenclature allow to publish in such papers, one can't ignore them and has to deal with it.
Anyhow, even the ARTHROPODA is mainly a "hobbyist magazine" to my knowledge the taxonomical relevant papers and also some on ecologie are peer-reviewed (I know of some papers which have been rejected by the editorial staff).

BTW, the genus Lucihormetica has not been published in the ARTHROPODA but in the "Amazoniana". Do you accept this journal or is it in your opinion also only a worthless "hobbyist magazine"?

Keep in mind your paper is by the same person who made up the new genus which does not lend to credibility.
you asked where the part "luci" comes from and I posted the source I have found – not more, not less.

In the meanwhile I found the source in which paper the genus Lucihormetica has been erected:
  • Zompro, O & Fritzsche, I. (2000): Lucihormetica fenestrata n. gen., n. sp., the first record of luminescence in an orthopteroid insect (Dictyoptera: Blaberidae: Blaberinae: Brachycolini). Amazoniana 15(3/4): 211-219, figs. 1-6.

abstract:
    A new species and genus of Blattodea: Brachycolini is described from Brazil. This seems the first orthopteroid insect genus ever reported as possessing organs of illumination. The new genus is closely related to Hormetica Burmeister, 1838 and Parahormetica Brunner v. Wattenwyl, 1865, but differs in the presence of organs of illumination and the morphology of its genitalia. A key to Brachycolini genera is compiled, and their type-species are listed.
BTW, do you want to say that Dr. Oliver ZOMPRO (Max-Planck-Institut für Limnologie) the author of the genus Lucihormetica is a layman?
some infos about Dr. O. ZOMPRO: >>click here<<
List of his publications: >>click here<< and >>click here<<

I can e-mail some microphotographs of Hormetica male genitalia and you're welcome to figure out what would presume a different genus.
thanks for the offer but as I stated above "I do know almost nothing about roaches" so they wouldn't be of much use for me. But FRITZSCHE mentions in his paper (2003), that a revision of the group is in progress (he doesn't mention who is working on it) => maybe they would be of help for them. If you need his mail addy I can organize it for you.

You had tricked me into thinking you were looking for real answers.
sorry, but what is a "real answer" in the field of taxonomy? =;-)

all the best,
Martin

PS.: BTW, by accident you are not the webmaster of the Allpet Roaches message board?

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I love this sort of thread.

Martin H. said:
But as long as the rules of nomenclature allow to publish in such papers, one can't ignore them and has to deal with it.
Indeed - we all know of a certain German gentleman (and a Frenchman too) who have published several papers of a dubious quality! Unfortunately, until somebody more thorough (Bertrani, Gallon, vonWirth?) comes along and revises the genus, they must stand as valid descriptions for now. :(

Martin H. said:
BTW, do you want to say that Dr. Oliver ZOMPRO (Max-Planck-Institut für Limnologie) the author of the genus Lucihormetica is a layman?
Lol, "layman", I like it :D