does anyone know what these are?

grows on a vine.

thought they were neat looking

thanks

moose

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Reminds me a little of a hoya, but their flowers are usually grouped in globular clusters. But there are a ton of varieties, so it's possible. Is that a house plant?

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Reminds me a little of a hoya, but their flowers are usually grouped in globular clusters. But there are a ton of varieties, so it's possible. Is that a house plant?
thats funny cause i thought hoya also.

but its a weed in new jersey. its a vine growing around a bush in front of my building.
more pics later.

moose

thruthetrees

Arachnosquire
I asked a plant savvy friend... It may be from the Solanaceae family--not sure if that helps at all... Pretty little flowers!

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have tons outside myfront door, I think they are milkweed. I love the flowers too.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I think you are on to something there. A Google image search for "milkweed vine" brought up some pictures that were pretty close. They were not right on the money, a major difference being that the leaves and flowers were hairy. But I did not sift through the images extensively, so I still think that J Morningstar is on the right track. I guess one clue might be to break a stem and see if the plants exudes milky sap. That may not be conclusive, as other plants van produce a white sap, but it might help.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Milkweed vine is close...

I think it is a Matelea sp. of some type. They actually call them 'milkvine', and it is indeed in the same family as milkweed.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Here is a nice link-

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=MATEL

Wait.... could that be...

Matelea pilosa? Or perhaps... M. biflora?

This might be of interest too,

http://plants.usda.gov/java/threat?...=fed&growthhabit=VI&sort=sciname&format=Print

Last edited:

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for all the help so far guys.
but i think i found it.
Black Swallow wort - Vincetoxicum nigrum

seems its invasive and i'm supposed to kill it....what a shame

moose

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
It appears that it too is a member of the milkweed family.

You know, a plant identification thread might be a good idea for this subforum. People often find interesting looking plants and would like to learn what they are. I have a couple photos I wouldn't mind getting some help with myself.

Last edited:

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for all the help so far guys.
but i think i found it.
Black Swallow wort - Vincetoxicum nigrum

seems its invasive and i'm supposed to kill it....what a shame

moose
I was looking at it trying to narrow down the family by flower and I kept thinking, its got to be non-native. Thank you for that. It was going to drive me nuts until I figured it out.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just keep a small patch for you to enjoy and rip out all the rest arounsd it, it comes back every year and I get to enjoy the flowers. I admit this year I let it go a bit but I am moving(hopefully) soon...maybe I will take a few vines to watch indoors or in a hanging basket then cut it down before the pods burst.

Last edited:

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Black swallow wort was considered to be medicinal in its native country...And they may well be right.

At least two of its native relatives are clearly medicinal: several of my friends have relieved poison ivy by applying medicinal "milks" to their itching red rashes.
These "milks" came from both the upright stems of common milkweed and from the immature pods of native vine milkweeds that had larger leaves,lighter pods,and generous cluster of much smaller,much whiter,and far more fragrant flowers than black swallow worts do.

Please test your black swallow worts.

Do scraped- or cut-parts thereof "bleed" medicinal "milk"?

Two relatives did.