PDA

View Full Version : Ephepobus Cyanognathus - care and setup?

Trinity
02-03-2004, 11:58 AM
For those that have Ephepobus Cyanognathus, what conditions are you keeping it in? I've not been able to find any specific information on them so I wanted to ask those that have them.

If I dont find anything, I plan to set it up like other Ephebopus species and go with that.

Thanks!

Jeff_C
02-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Trinity,

I only had a limited amount of experience with my blue fang sling before it died post molt so you probably want to take this with a grain of salt...but I had read that the slings can be somewhat aborel in their nature so I gave my sling a choice (substrate and hanging corkbark) and it chose to create its own web hammock at the very top of the enclosure. I kept it very similiar to my A versicolors with moist substrate and high ventilation.

hth,
Jeff

pelo
02-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Trinity
For those that have Ephepobus Cyanognathus, what conditions are you keeping it in? I've not been able to find any specific information on them so I wanted to ask those that have them.

If I dont find anything, I plan to set it up like other Ephebopus species and go with that.

Thanks!

>>Here's how I keep mine and they're doing great.One just molted matter of fact..
>>Click here<< (http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19556)

esmoot
02-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by jcohen9999
Trinity,

I only had a limited amount of experience with my blue fang sling before it died post molt so you probably want to take this with a grain of salt...but I had read that the slings can be somewhat aborel in their nature so I gave my sling a choice (substrate and hanging corkbark) and it chose to create its own web hammock at the very top of the enclosure. I kept it very similiar to my A versicolors with moist substrate and high ventilation.

hth,
Jeff

They are a burrower not an arboreal. From my experience(I have 6 of these) they burrow and always build a turret. I would not keep the substrate constantly moist, it probably the reason Jeff's sling died and the reason it would not burrow.

Jeff_C
02-03-2004, 05:02 PM
I guess that explains that and it is very possible it was too moist....except I didn't actually keep it constantly moist and this sling never seemed to have any interesting in going in a downward direction (even when it escaped :eek: ).

Ever since my initial mite infestation I am in the habit of allowing all substrate to dry out fully before moistening half of it again (include my versicolors) and I focus on keeping the relative humidity in the T cabinet high. Even then I guess this could have been too much.

I guess I will need to get another one and keep it more on the drier side this time.

Thanks,
Jeff

Lopez
02-04-2004, 03:21 AM
Spiderlings will often build arboreal web (they are Aviculariinea remember) but adults live in burrows around 4 foot in depth apparently.
I doubt if excess humidity caused death unless it was swamp conditions - these spiders originate from French Guiana, where wet-forest humidity is often 100%.