Help me identify this insect

JonnyD226

Arachnopeon
Hello,

My company recently moved into a new building, and in the unfinished sections of the building (2nd Floor), we have been finding a bunch of the insects in the attached picture. My coworker thinks that they are Stink bugs, I'm not sure. Can someone help me identify it?

Thanks,

Jon

Attachments

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by JonnyD226
Hello,

My company recently moved into a new building, and in the unfinished sections of the building (2nd Floor), we have been finding a bunch of the insects in the attached picture. My coworker thinks that they are Stink bugs, I'm not sure. Can someone help me identify it?

Thanks,

Jon
It's not technically a stink bug although they do give off a typical true bug odor (order Hemiptera). I can't recall the species; I have that or a very similar species coming in at the entomology lab from somewhere and one of the better knowing about bug people told me what it was. Unfortunately, I've now forgotten other than to say that it wasn't a stinkbug of any sort since that was one of my theories.

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i believe it belongs to the family of leaf footed bugs Coreidae, possibly Leptoglossus occidentalis.
ORION

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Correct me if I am wrong,but I believe that is an Assasin Bug.
They shoot a little liquid like stuff from some sorta nozzle,on the mouth end.But,try not to tick them off.;)

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dead give-away that this is family Coreidae (leaf footed bugs) and not family Reduviidae is the flattened hind tibia. Also Coreids have shorter mouthparts than Reduviids.
ORION

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok,all right..what ever you say dude...You are probably more knowlegeable than I am at this!:D :rolleyes:

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
booo sorry man didnt mean to come off as an egghead or nothin
ORION

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought Reduviids had smaller mouthparts. Maybe the leaf foots I find around here all the time are an exception? :p

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by ORION_DV8
booo sorry man didnt mean to come off as an egghead or nothin
ORION

I did not think you came off as an egghead.I just think you are probably correct,and I can`t vevn pronounce those names!:D =D

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Navaros you are correct that was a brain fart of sorts it is actually reduviids tat have the shorter mouthparts.
thanks
ORION

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I'm thinking maybe it's a coreid mimicing tarantula?

Hey Orion,
You can't win hugh? Tell em what the bug is and you have to battle with people sending silly answers. LOL

(It is genus Leptoglossus.)

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hehe i was just scared of coming off as an egghead again :) lol
ORION

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by JonnyD226
Hello,

Thanks,

Jon
It's a leaf footed bug (don't know the scientific name). The ones around here are basically just big stinkbugs with enlarged leaf shapes on the last pair of legs.

I actually don't know if leaf footed bugs are generally considered stinkbugs. But they do look like huge stinkbugs, and every one that I caught smelled horrible. So as far as I'm concerned, they're just big, easily identifiable stinkbugs.

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
this is something from pyrrhocoridea familly i think