Ding! Round 2!

Iowa T Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My first attempt at getting baby crix was a failure :confused: so I tried mealworms. Only one of my two T's liked them so now I am back to crix. Hopefully I can get some babies because my little guy is scared of adult crix for some reason.

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have not yet seen a tarantula that is small enough to eat actual pinheads, why not just go buy some small crickets? Breeding them is a pain and not worth it IMO. If they can't eat a cricket you buy in the store cut them up and give them to them, always works for me.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I agree! Crickets are smelly, nasty, and noisy! Plus they are a bit demanding for a feeder IME... I buy them like 3000 at a time, and freeze them for feeding later. About the biggest hassle that they cause me is when I take the boxes out of the freezer and seperate them into small ziplock baggies with about 50 crickets each before putting them back into the freezer before they get thawed. If you ware wanting to raise feeders, get some of the none climbing roach species. They might take a couple months to get going for feeding several Ts, but once they do, you'll have plenty of food for both slings and adults. Plus, they are easier to take care of, nowhere as smelly/nasty, and they are also very quiet :D

And, not to worry about feeding thawed crickets... let them thaw and get to room temps, drop them in near the T like in front of their hide, and they will eat them. Mine even grab them up as I drop them in, or walk over almost immediately and pick them up and start chowing out. Plus it takes out the worries of crickets attacking a molting T or spreading mites. And saves you lots of time and trouble. Mine have roaches and meal/super worms live, and other thawed meat items like pinkies, or beefheart, etc for a well balenced diet

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Iowa T Keeper
your T's Will take dead things? Mine wont even eat Mealworms.
Ts have even been observed scavenging roadkill. While I never bothered with the freezing Mendi describes, I've sliced up crickets into chunks many times to feed multiple slings from one large cricket. Similar idea with thawed pinkies.

It may take a lot of exposures, they do have to learn what is food, but most Ts will eat most things that qualify as menu items for a large spider.

Last edited:

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Originally posted by Iowa T Keeper
your T's Will take dead things? Mine wont even eat Mealworms.
All of mine will with no problem... and they are quite good eaters as well whether it is live or prekilled.

Check out Smitty munching a couple

And this is Stripz, the only one pictured in my gallery that looks skinny, here's her not too long after the one the gallery. I'm still waiting on her to see if anything comes from her breeding and eating Robs male

Last edited: