my new *African* mantis

conway

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well this is *him*came today along with my ova 3 spiders :D , its quite big,but smaller than i expected..lol, well anyway tell me what you think..and if you an work out for sure what species it is? im told its an african....ah crap i just tried to upload but my comps playing up,well..ill have to go on my bros pc to upload it sometime..

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not a bad picture. I love praying mantises. Is this one a youngster
since its small or do this species stay small. Is it eating for you?
Sharon

conway

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i wouldnt say small! lol, its an Thai now..lol as im told...its been fed one cricket but was persistant to geoing on the floor to catch it..so in the end i got some toothpicks,sellotaped them together and kept on pricking the cricket..it stupidly..but thankfully..hopped aonto the lid..about an inch away from the mantid..it was just about to jump back down and the mantid quickly caught it :D ;P ..i dont think it should stay small small but it might get to about 10 cm

Ryan Bridgman

Arachnopeon
I have an African Mantis and she eats whatever is put in there - even 3 large black crix a day. Thing is they are really messy eaters - loads of legs and heads in her tank - it's like the Creeper's lair in Jeepers Creepers!

She is really happy to be handled and practices her 'kung fu' on my hand. Never been bitten, although to see the way they wolf down a cricket it has got to sting a bit if they do.

Mine is about 4 inches now - apparently she will get to 6 inches but she already has wings so I don't know if they moult again after achieving maturity. Awesome creatures - compared to my 'pet rock' Tarantulas the mantis is quite the entertainer. Shame they only live about 9 months though :(

Ryan Bridgman

Arachnopeon
BTW that doesn't look like a Thai mantis to me - looks like a juvenile African mantis. Thai mantises tend to have longer necks - maybe if you have another pic from a different angle but to me that is an African species.

conway

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nope deffinitely not a thai,i have never heard of one ;) but thats what i was told it was,so i looked it up and the closest is a Hierodula Parviceps