pillbugs

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm starting to keep pillbugs (land isopod crustaceans) in with my millipedes. My idea is that they will help keep the enclosure clean. Has anyone kept pillbugs aka rollie pollies in with their millipedes? Were there any problems or concerns that you can share with me?

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lots of people do that from what I have seen, I am thinking about trying it this year. I want the ones roachman has, they are so pretty.

Hemolymph

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awww.. pollie pollie's...... I use to keep those when I was little...... I use to have race em' all.......

Pillbugs are fun.

- Jeni

Iowa T Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I may try this when summer comes and I can get some pillbugs. After reading the T Keeper's Guide I thought about it.

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone know what these things eat i have one right not that seems to be doing fine any help is appreciated.

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In a tank they will eat leftover food the other animals leave before mites can get to it or flies etc. If you are keeping them alone, they will probably eat just about anything, feed them like millipedes.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spike
Does anyone know what these things eat i have one right not that seems to be doing fine any help is appreciated.
Spike,

I think you might be asking about the giant pill millipedes, which are millipedes. Those things are hard to keep for any length of time. Little is known about their requirements. Trial and error is what keepers are stuck doing, until someone has success and shares.

If you were talking about the tiny pillbugs, they eat most vegetation, and like it moist.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I have Rollie Pollies in my millipede cage....theyre a PAIN!!! they breed like theres NO tomorrow and Im forever picking them out..its a PLAGUE!!!! Granted a cute plague....but they do get out of hand.
Michelle

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
6Thanks for telling us about that! Never thought they could reproduce and get out of hand. You can always put the extras outside in the garden. They don't seem to hurt flowers. I used to play with these when I was little. I kept a few in with my pet wolf spiders and praying mantises. I thought maybe they would eat them but I don't think either one of thise eat them.
Sharon