My Carnivores

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I finally got some more plants and the terrarrium is going really well, Sharktooth, cup, and "standard" Venus Fly traps, A nice butterwort and 3 sundews, I like the little pitchfork one a lot but they are all doing super well.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks very nice. Just be careful using a container without drainage. I have done so in the past, but have heard of people having trouble.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've had the terrarrium going for about 8 months..no mold, no sourness to the soil, smell at least that I know, and there is algee growing on the bottom so it all seems good. The spagnum came back to life, And the plants are growing really well.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've had the terrarrium going for about 8 months..no mold, no sourness to the soil, smell at least that I know, and there is algee growing on the bottom so it all seems good. The spagnum came back to life, And the plants are growing really well.
I love it! Especially the sphagnum! Was it a brand you can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot? :clap:

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually I think it may have been the zoo-med one from the pet store or I got it where I buy things for my orchids..I don't remember.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was thinking you bought or collected live. Great that it came back. You are doing something right for sure. I'm kinda spoiled because I can collect live.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Other than in carnivorous plants from the nursery I've never even seen live spagnumn..

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You should have lots of places to collect in your area. If you ever need some, let me know. It can be tough for some people to grow. Actually, healthy sphagnum is an indication you are doing things right.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks great. :)

So I'm looking up sphagnum...you just used the sphagnum/peat that looks like dirt, and it came back to life from that?

Also, are you covering the top of the bowl or do you leave it open?

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, you can get dried, long strand sphagnum from Lowe's and Home Depot. They also carry orchid moss. That is another type of sphagnum, and I like the consistancy better. Either can grow from spores present on the dried moss.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Interesting...how do you manage to give them enough light in that thing without cooking them...T5 fixtures?

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Will you be uprooting the vft's in the fall to give them a cold winter dormancy or are you going to try chilling the entire collection?

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The sphagnum moss was entierely dry and brown when I put it in, The bulb is a 150 or 200 watt "true light" or "natural light" bulb from Home Depot. The bulb rests on top of the terrium lid. The florecent light has little heat. As far as hibernation....I am so scared as to what to do. I guess they really do need hibernation. I guess to dig them out is the best option??? Anyone with any other suggestions as to the care of my garden. I truly appreciate any and all advice you have given as this is the only successful Carnivourous garden, and I would love this for years to come. I would like to add just one or two more....but I don't know which plants cannot live without a hibernation and which can..I will invest in a few books by fall, but this is new to me.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For the winter I place my plants in the crawlspace under the house, along with my hibernating turtles. I place a light on a timer, and try to keep them moist enough. The temp runs between 34 and 42 F for most of the winter. Just check them from time to time. I have had problems with drying out in the past.

helixrose

Arachnopeon
That's lovely! Yes the vft should go dormant, that sundew with the long slim leaves won't need to, not sure about the other types, I haven't kept them. Are you planning on letting them all flower? The vft almost surely will after dormancy. The slim leafed sundew probably will also, they have a reputation for spreading seed and making LOTS of new little ones. I don't let mine flower, I tried it once just to see what it would look like but I prefer now to send the energy into the plant. They seem to eat better without flowering too. Flowering takes a LOT of energy.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My wife got me a starter kit of CPs from CVS when she was working there. I just planted everything a couple weeks ago. I hope mine do as well as yours, that looks great.

What do you do about feeding them all? Drop crickets in or just let it catch whatever's in the air?

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Starting from seed is tricky with these guys, make sure to follow the directions carefully. I keep them in my bug room and although I have never on purpose the fruit flies smell their way through a 1/8th inch space and get in and feed them, but remember they don't need to eat. If you wanted to watch them do their thing from time to time I'd just throw nin a few flightless fruit flies and watch. Should be small enough to not mess things up.