Carnivorous Plant Seed?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Where would be a good place to purchase carnivorous plant seed? I really enjoy starting plants from seed.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks, but I'm going for endorsements. :D

I just saw that I can get seed on Amazon.com which is my preferred place to buy just about everything.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No endorsements from me, but I'd recommend that you buy tropical CP seeds first, so you can enjoy the sprouts while stratifying temperate CP seeds. Nepenthes or tropical Drosera might be a good start.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No endorsements from me, but I'd recommend that you buy tropical CP seeds first, so you can enjoy the sprouts while stratifying temperate CP seeds. Nepenthes or tropical Drosera might be a good start.
I think Nepenthes is all I'm really interested in...at least for now... {D

...but what do you mean by stratifying temperate seeds?

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think Nepenthes is all I'm really interested in...at least for now... {D
Nepenthes is by far my favorite genus too, but some others are beginning to grow on me. {D
...but what do you mean by stratifying temperate seeds?
From Wikipedia: "Stratification is the process of pretreating seeds to simulate natural winter conditions that a seed must endure before germination." The seeds of many temperate CPs require somewhere around four weeks in the fridge before they germinate, to my understanding.

Hopefully Exo will chime in soon. He's probably got a good bit of experience growing Nepenthes and other carnivorous plants from seed.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nepenthes seed is among the most difficult of all CP seed to find, and even harder to get to germinate...I've gotten pretty good with nep seed, but even I won't say they are easy. I get most of my CP seeds from friends on the CP forums I belong to, or..if I'm lucky, from my own plants.

If ya want an easy tropical....go with sundews first.....I have some D.spathulata seed at the moment if you'd like to give it a try..just PM me your address and I'll send you some. ;)

SEB

Arachnosquire
Nepenthes seed is among the most difficult of all CP seed to find, and even harder to get to germinate...I've gotten pretty good with nep seed, but even I won't say they are easy. I get most of my CP seeds from friends on the CP forums I belong to, or..if I'm lucky, from my own plants.

If ya want an easy tropical....go with sundews first.....I have some D.spathulata seed at the moment if you'd like to give it a try..just PM me your address and I'll send you some. ;)
This is very true. They are very difficult to grow from seed. You should try Sarracenia seed first as they are a bit easier. A lot of good seed can be purchased on ebay. Reputable nurseries like California Carnivores and Sarracenia Northwest won't sell their seeds as they use them for future propagation.

Good luck though and good growing!