Mantids

spyderguy1983

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was wondering if Mantids are very hard to care for, and if anyone would know of any good beginner species. I have experience keeping T's, other spiders, crickets and roaches. Any info would be appreciated.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
To my opinion good beginner specie are some of the "Hierodula" and "Sphodromantis" they grow quite large also.

give them a good "hanging"place to molt,.... feed them 2crickets a week spray the tank once or twice a week depending on the specie you keep and they will do fine,...

temp 23°C works great for several specie

best way to start is by getting L3-L4 nimfs orso,... when you buy adults you aren't sure about their age,... and since they are short-lived (like 1-2years) it's more intresting to raise nimfs.

I've just posted some pictures of P.Paradoxas some topics below,... they are to my opinion also quite "hardy" but very slow in growrate and feeding.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Most mantids are very easy to care for. Other hardy/easy species to care for are Parasphendale agrionina and Miomantis paykullii, both are very underrated also. I would have to agree with gongyles, getting L3-L4 nymphs is the best way to go, starting with an ootheca with zero mantid experience usually turns into an unhatched-dead ooth.

Wolfchan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got my first invert a few months ago...a P. Wahlbergii, I believe. I haven't had any problems so far, she eats like a horse, is always on the move, and... I'm completely hooked on inverts now. =D