Moss?

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Does anybody in the Arachnohorde know anything on growing moss? I know it's kinda obscure but I'm kinda limited on sunlight and outdoors so moss is perfect for me and it's kinda sabi :laugh: any info greatly appreciated.

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
Scrape a little bit of moss from rock/tree/wherever

Put 1c *plain* yogurt + moss in blender.
Blend ;)
Smear mixture on whatever you're trying to cultivate on.
Let sit in cool/dark spot for awhile, mist daily.

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Depends on just how "limited" you're talking. If using moss from outdoors & your light is very limited, then the moss you utilize will best be moss growing in a heavily shaded area. Many mosses actually require very bright light to thrive.

Depending on your light levels and preferences, you might also consider Selaginella. There are some very nice types available.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Depending on your light levels and preferences, you might also consider Selaginella. There are some very nice types available.
I'll second this. Selaginella erythropus is a pretty cool one.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i dont see how you would be able to sterilize the moss without killing it.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I'm just kinda feeling the idea out right now I have the weird need to grow things and know I can't grow anything useful like veggies. In my googling the idea of throwing some moss in an apothecary jar Click is a very bonsai-ish aesthetic that appeals to me. My main light source is a North-West facing window and I guess an over-sized fluorescent light. What I've learned is to mist distilled water often and peat makes a good medium. I have no idea where I would get moss to start with and see no need to sterilize it (???)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ohhh ok i see...i thought you were planning on putting it in wit T's or other pets...my mistake..

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Maybe in some unforeseen future but right now I'd like to master the art of T and moss before I combine the two. The best thing for wild caught moss would be wild caught bugs then maybe some isopods or a milli or two

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah i wouldnt have a problem doing a small enclosure with all wild caught things...i never feed wild caught food, but with my L. mactans that i caught wild, every once in a while ill give her a house fly..

Amoeba

Arachnolord
:drool: I can see an apothecary jar with some moss and bumblebee millis running around.

Speaking of no wild caught ^^ I'm working on my first generation of super worms which is good because I'm running low.

It's a shame I have no interest in widows either way I made a promise not to have any serious venom in my collection.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah that does sound cool...although i got out of millis because of mites and mold issues...we got some pretty cool kentucky flat millis around here...very pretty...widows arent that bad at all...i just have her in a tall deli cup, and she is very easy to take care of..never have any problems...

:drool: I can see an apothecary jar with some moss and bumblebee millis running around.

Speaking of no wild caught ^^ I'm working on my first generation of super worms which is good because I'm running low.

It's a shame I have no interest in widows either way I made a promise not to have any serious venom in my collection.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I'm still learning about myriapods too I feel like a sponge of information lately. I could never sell the idea to the significant other :laugh: I had a hard enough time with "I'm going to start keeping big hairy spiders" and "Oh! I went from one to six within a week." but the door has a foot in it.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i know exactly what you mean...me going to 1 T to almost 100 in very little time..any now i have the widow, deathstalkers, 4 snakes, alot of pokies..large pedes...she deals with it, but doesnt care much for them....i got busted today, buying T's on the low, without telling her...but i suppose that'll happen..haha

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I've promised not to buy anymore for awhile.....and that while means until I send out my A metallica to do the dew :) and she said I'm aloud to set up bugs in the Apothecary jars so I may find myself with a C. gracillis or hentzi while I'm at it

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
looks like A. metallica to me...might want to put the pic in T identification...if you cant i can save the pic and put it there..

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I had no luck putting it in there so you can go right ahead.

satchellwk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Moss is one of my favorite plants, just for its prehistoric look. I have a bunch in a jar that does just fine. Just put an inch or two of gravel at the bottom, cover it with water, put a few inches of soil on top of that, then place the moss on top of the soil and gently push the bottoms into the soil. Cover the jar with plastic wrap and a rubber band and place in a sunny window and enjoy. the plastic wrap will hold in the moisture so you never have ot water it.