Predatory Katydid's

Bug collecter

Arachnopeon
Hi Guy's

I heard something about Predatory Katydid's and i was wondering do u guys have any more information on this intresting species?. Also can they be kept as pets? thanks.:)

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
once in a while i see them offered at insectfairs here inEurope,...
so they could be kept as pets,.... quite impressive inverts,... but haven't tried those,..
so sorry can't help you :)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's a number of different katydids that a partially or entirely predatory. In the southwest US there's a really big one called the giant shield-backed katydid (or cricket). Awsome animals, but difficult to handle. Getting one into a collection container without getting bitten by the massive jaws or stabbed by the numerous spikes is tricky indeed.

They can be kept, but I suspect they need alot of space and are easily stressed. I've tried to work with them a number of times but have never gotten any eggs or babies.

Wade

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
@Wade

When are you finally gonna take some pictures !!!! ;) :D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wouldn't help us here, at the moment the only one I have is dead and pinned :(

The biggest bummer is that since the birth of my daughter last year I haven't been able to go out west to collect anything!

:( :( :(

Wade

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow that katydid is awesome. How did you keep them mantidassassins?

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
did u let it eat on ur hand? didn't cricket get all over u?? gross

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The eggs of that species took me well over a year to hatch out. There was a trick to getting them past hatchling but after the first molt they just ate crickets and other bugs.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi, did a search and dug this up. These might be available soon, and I can't find any info on their care. Would you please share some care info for these.