Axolotl care sheet

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If an animal grows to be more than 8inches in length. The width of the tank should not be 12. should actually be 15+ to give it alittle more elbow room if you know what I mean. Gravel is a bad idea for any kind of aquarium animal other than fish. Not only do they get dirty quickly but it produces a risk of impaction. Try large river rocks, or sand or even bare-bottom. Blood worms have very little nutritional value. But daphnea is good. try adding feeder guppies(gutloaded), crickets(gutloaded), earthworms(they are high in proteins), and shrimp(avoid the ghost shrimp though, low on nutrients). Foods can also be pellets. turtle pellets work great. Or even pelleted foods given to xenopus laevis. Xenopus express.com has them I think.

They're not really low maintnance pets though... And the thing is. They're extremely territorial. There's a site called caudata.org which should explain. Now a days tap water contains high levels of chloramine. So the whole method of leaving water out for 24 hours to evaporate chlorine is fine-- for chlorine. But not chloramine. Chloramine is only removed via a de-chlor. I prefer using prime for my fish. Which also removes bits of ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Avoid anything that contains "slime coat" I heard someone say about how it could suffocate the animal if its too concentrated.

Oh forgot to say. I'd avoid to feed pinkie mice to any amphibian. It's not really good for them... Even as a treat. There's also the thing that axolotls are illegal in several states including new jersey, I think california too. I'm not sure what others though. But yeah.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
OK, SanDeku- you need to slow down. 2 months ago you were asking for advice on what to do with tadpoles you'd caught and now you're doling out advice on a bunch of herps that I presume you haven't kept. It's a little irritating to watch you pimp advice to people that have been doing this successfully since before you were wearing pants. For instance, daphnia are useless to anything but the hatchling axolotls...you'd need a bucket of them for it to be worthwhile. Crickets are only eaten when they sink as axolotls rarely pick anything off the surface. Turtle pellets typically float- useless. Chloramine does evaporate if the water is left to sit for at least 24 hrs. Many of those water treatment products are junk. Cycling the tank, exercising patience & monitoring water health are actually the most strenuous activities you will perform other than very occasional maintenance.

Scorpdude, I just want to add a couple things:

-the range for A. mexicanum has always been a small area around Mexico City.
-heat is unnecessary unless you live in a freezer. In fact, temps should be monitored during the summer months to ensure that it doesn't get too warm.
-the sentence about pebbles is confusing. Stick with sand.
-for good, just go with axolotl pellets. These, IIRC, were developed by the university responsible for their massive introduction in the pet trade. Ed's Fly Meat sells them in 2 different sizes.

Of course, this is just a combo of my experience and accumulated personal research. Please take with a grain of salt & recognize that there are certainly other ways of doing it to good effect and more experienced keepers out there than I;)

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OK, SanDeku- you need to slow down. 2 months ago you were asking for advice on what to do with tadpoles you'd caught and now you're doling out advice on a bunch of herps that I presume you haven't kept. It's a little irritating to watch you pimp advice to people that have been doing this successfully since before you were wearing pants. For instance, daphnia are useless to anything but the hatchling axolotls...you'd need a bucket of them for it to be worthwhile. Crickets are only eaten when they sink as axolotls rarely pick anything off the surface. Turtle pellets typically float- useless. Chloramine does evaporate if the water is left to sit for at least 24 hrs. Many of those water treatment products are junk. Cycling the tank, exercising patience & monitoring water health are actually the most strenuous activities you will perform other than very occasional maintenance.

Scorpdude, I just want to add a couple things:

-the range for A. mexicanum has always been a small area around Mexico City.
-heat is unnecessary unless you live in a freezer. In fact, temps should be monitored during the summer months to ensure that it doesn't get too warm.
-the sentence about pebbles is confusing. Stick with sand.
-for good, just go with axolotl pellets. These, IIRC, were developed by the university responsible for their massive introduction in the pet trade. Ed's Fly Meat sells them in 2 different sizes.

Of course, this is just a combo of my experience and accumulated personal research. Please take with a grain of salt & recognize that there are certainly other ways of doing it to good effect and more experienced keepers out there than I;)
Yes advice. Not a caresheet. You should look on alot of forums I joined 5years ago as well. I like to constantly ask questions to make sure the answers stay the same; because science tends to change.

I didn't ask "2months" ago. It was mostlikely 6-8months ago. I remember cause it was still summer.

Daphnea is actually pretty healthy to feed and can be bought FROZEN. In fact I bought a packet of it for like 2.50yesterday. Which containes like 20little blocks or more. Chloramine if I recall does not evaporate.

http://www.chloramineinfocenter.net/WhatIsChloramine.htm

What does dissipate mean?(rhetorical question) First line.

I used to live in a couple of other states. Back then I DID own a tank with an axolotl in it.

Oh and I never said that the "PRIME" de-chlor will cycle the tank. IT DOES HOWEVER remove a small quantity of ammonia, nitrate and nitrites. I even tested it out. It's not a huge amount. But a cap-full treats up to 50gs. Removes .08% of ammonia, nitrate and nitrites.

Crickets do not sink FOR A WHILE. Eventually they do sink. But yes that's what TONGS are for. Same with the turtle pellets. That's why you use tongs. Oh and I have seen axolotls eat from the surface. That's why you don't keep a tank with water depth more than 12inches.

I mean I'm not trying to be rude. But that was kind of a direct insult right there. So... Yeah just wanted to point that out.

Oh and for the record. I actually keep alot of stuff bro. Such as fish, turtles(DBT, Texas map, Painteds), amphibians(pacman frogs, african claweds, white's tree frogs, toads, and eventually going into dart frogs). :/