The happiest tortoise ever

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome. Watching tortoises eat is hilarious. They're very enthusiastic.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hope that's not a terrarium... what bedding are you using? That looks to be(in the back corner) aspen bedding of some sort(wood shavings). That kind of stuff is not good for tortoises.... I'd suggest just plain old dirt.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hope that's not a terrarium... what bedding are you using? That looks to be(in the back corner) aspen bedding of some sort(wood shavings). That kind of stuff is not good for tortoises.... I'd suggest just plain old dirt.
Right....and instead of a terrarium, what pray tell should they be in? I attempted to bring in a chunk of Africa, but apparently that isn't possible. Figured the next best thing would be free roaming in our facility, but then again that doesn't sound safe at all.
If the question was not so much "Is that a terrarium?", but instead "Is that THEIR terrarium?", then the answer is yes. It is their terrarium. Your substrate suggestion is duly noted though unnecessary. Aspen is a commonly used bedding for pancake tortoises. Dirt works well too. You can even use mulch if you feel so inclined. As for it "not being good for tortoises" I'm not so sure I agree with you. If I did I obviously wouldn't be using that for the substrate....in their terrarium.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wanted one of those for years! I cooled off on them though. I know where one is but it's a male and I can only get myself to buy a pair for breeding anyway. I would still like a pair.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah. So you meant "Is that a glass aquarium?" For a turtle table is a terrarium of sorts. I'm not opposed to turtles having a glass front on their cage. If provided adequate space and hiding areas, you won't have any issues. That said, the enclosure that they're kept in does not possess a single piece of glass, lexan or plexiglass. In fact there are no transparent sides whatsoever. Being that the only portion of the terrarium that can be seen is a gray opaque wall, I'm curious as to why you thought it was a glass terrarium? I hope it wasn't just so that you could plug a couple sources you found online. The whole point of this thread was to show the goofy look of a turtle chowing down some greens. Not to have someone bait an argument on turtle husbandry based on assumptions not supported by the photograph.

IF not a terrarium you use what they call a turtletable.
http://www.unc.edu/~dtkirkpa/stuff/table.html

Tortoises get majorly stressed out by being able to see outside the glass. there's a site called turtletimes.org I think thats what its spelt. google it first. look through the forum.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ahhh! i love the pancakes,we have them at our shop,yeah can they eat! awesome pic of that 1.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah. So you meant "Is that a glass aquarium?" For a turtle table is a terrarium of sorts. I'm not opposed to turtles having a glass front on their cage. If provided adequate space and hiding areas, you won't have any issues. That said, the enclosure that they're kept in does not possess a single piece of glass, lexan or plexiglass. In fact there are no transparent sides whatsoever. Being that the only portion of the terrarium that can be seen is a gray opaque wall, I'm curious as to why you thought it was a glass terrarium? I hope it wasn't just so that you could plug a couple sources you found online. The whole point of this thread was to show the goofy look of a turtle chowing down some greens. Not to have someone bait an argument on turtle husbandry based on assumptions not supported by the photograph.
Good god. I thought that was glass. Sometimes people put backgroounds on glass. I asked a question. I didn't aim to bait an argument.

smoothie4l

Arachnopeon
Man, i love watching tortoises eat, it is like there is no tomorrow! Yours is so cute, pancakes are the best!