African 2 spotted assasin!

xanderTluv

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have just purchased a couple of these, they are just stunning! I was wondering is there a reliable way of sexing them?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
The last segment of the body looks different,...
males should have a round bullet kinda thingy at the end,.. females don't have that. this only shows when they are adult !

succes in breeding them,...
won't be that hard if you got a couple ;)

xanderTluv

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
gongyles thx friend, its hard to see their underside, but ill look! I hope I have a breeding pair. These are georgous bugs!

conway

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
..just dont forget to look with goggles or glasses..these will *throw* their stuff at u..lol and they bite

MacCleod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by conway
..just dont forget to look with goggles or glasses..these will *throw* their stuff at u..lol and they bite
Hehe...they don't bite...they sting ;)
They say it's painful, and could be annoying if you are allergic.

I handle mine occasionally, but I 've never been stung, or "shot" with poison...they 're real cute =D
But again, yes, you should be careful with them, cuz the fluid is very irratating (isn't it, Steven ;) )
After handling, better wash your hands, to be sure there's no fluid left.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
>>>cuz the fluid is very irratating (isn't it, Steven ;) )<<<

why am i always the one to experience things out first handed :8o ;) :D
But i had a red eye for 2-3 days from their fluid,... that's a fact!,... so be carefull ;)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd say they "bite" since it's done with the mouthparts and not a stinger.

If you look at them from the side, the end of the males abdomen will be like rounded knob, will the females flattened, almost like a shovel.

Wade

xanderTluv

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes they are awesome! Ill be sure to wear some protection over my eyes! Id imagine the only time Ill be in contact is for cleaning!
I have them in a tall clear plastic 1 gallon jar, peat moss, a tall piece of drift wood, and a silk plant for climbing! and I tossed in a few crix! Does that sound ok for their husbandry???

MacCleod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade
I'd say they "bite" since it's done with the mouthparts and not a stinger.
Ow.

So, in English terms, it is also mosquito"bite" :?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, actually, that's what we call them in the US anyway. I can see calling it a sting as well, since it's a puncture wound. Some terms, like common names, are probably used differently all over the world.

For example, I've noticed some texts refer to a centipede "sting" which didn't sound right to me at first, but then I considered that the prehensors aren't really mouthparts, so sting makes as much sense as bite. For me, though, I'll call it a bite if it comes from the front end, and a sting from the back :p

Wade

xanderTluv

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well using the sexing method said here, I beleive I have two males, lol. Unless by some freak of nature, I won't get any breeding done this way. When I purchased them, I was looking for a bubble on the end to signify a male and lack of one for female! I guess I didn't look close enough... I will try again!