First arboreal arriving Friday P striata

funkymonk

Arachnopeon
Ordered a P striata sling from The Spider Shop which should be arriving on Friday, my first arboreal species so should be interesting... Also getting L parahybana & A geniculata slings which will take me up to 8...

Josh Perry

Arachnosquire
i just got my P. striata Saterday so far it has escaped 3 times and the latest one was this morning i had to take apart my T shelf and move it to get him back very preaty spider i love it

boxofsorrows

Arachnopeon
i just got my P. striata Saterday so far it has escaped 3 times and the latest one was this morning i had to take apart my T shelf and move it to get him back very preaty spider i love it
Escaping Pokies :eek: I'd try not to let that become a habit when it's bigger!!
They are great lookers though :cool:

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Assuming it escaped due to bolting while you were doing maintenance--I'd reccomend keeping it in a bigger enclosure, it calms them right down. If it's actually escaped from a closed enclosure--you need a better enclosure, yo.

Josh Perry

Arachnosquire
Assuming it escaped due to bolting while you were doing maintenance--I'd reccomend keeping it in a bigger enclosure, it calms them right down. If it's actually escaped from a closed enclosure--you need a better enclosure, yo.
yea it escapes during maintance i use the clear cubes from hobby lobby the is about 4" tall, 2" wide, and 2" deep. the T is about 1.25" DLS. New rule is I don't open that enclosure unless it's in the tub lol

SCORPIONNOOB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yea it escapes during maintance i use the clear cubes from hobby lobby the is about 4" tall, 2" wide, and 2" deep. the T is about 1.25" DLS. New rule is I don't open that enclosure unless it's in the tub lol
Good Call! My Avics get out everytime I have to remove crix crumbs or molts from those cubes. I dont mind that, they take a little walk up the arm and get some fresh air then gladly return to their hammock... but my little pokies get the "Ok im in the middle of the room next to nothing and the cats are locked up" treatment.

Josh Perry

Arachnosquire
Good Call! My Avics get out everytime I have to remove crix crumbs or molts from those cubes. I dont mind that, they take a little walk up the arm and get some fresh air then gladly return to their hammock... but my little pokies get the "Ok im in the middle of the room next to nothing and the cats are locked up" treatment.
yea my LPs do that but my pokies are like "... is that freedom i smell?" and litteraly in the blink of an eye they are across the room.

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
Grats on your first aboreal, and poeci! I still want a regalis, but I got an awesome deal on a juvie ornata this past saturday. Mine's in a 32oz deli cup, and i've had 0 escapes so far...thank God!

Josh Perry

Arachnosquire
Grats on your first aboreal, and poeci! I still want a regalis, but I got an awesome deal on a juvie ornata this past saturday. Mine's in a 32oz deli cup, and i've had 0 escapes so far...thank God!
what did you pay for your ornata and how big is it? If you don't mind me asking. I got a 1.75 inch P. regalis for $15 and a P. striata for $20 this past Saterday

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
My first two Pokies (I got them around April of this year) were P regalis and P striata. The P regalis loved its little home, but the P striata would just never stay still. I had to deal with an escape just about every week. I didn't mind. It was so amazing to look at, even if it was under my television!@#$%^
I've got another P regalis and a P miranda coming this week! Can't wait.

funkymonk

Arachnopeon
Looks like i'm going to have to be prepared for a few possible escapes then lol.. Have an adult OBT that is fast but think poeci's are in a different leauge when it comes to speed though, will house it in a 500ml screw top jar about 8cm wide x 11cm tall with some cork bark etc. think the sling will be around 2-3cm can't wait I think they are stunning looking T's

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
congrats on the first arborial and first pokie...youll be hooked..pokies are awesome...i have 6 of the species..

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Looks like i'm going to have to be prepared for a few possible escapes then lol.. Have an adult OBT that is fast but think poeci's are in a different leauge when it comes to speed though, will house it in a 500ml screw top jar about 8cm wide x 11cm tall with some cork bark etc. think the sling will be around 2-3cm can't wait I think they are stunning looking T's
You shouldn't have to worry about escapes. If you provide them with a proper hide they should run and hide in it instead of bolting for freedom. I open my enclosures once a week for food, water, and maintenance. Just keep your eye on them, have a catch cup ready and do it in an open space. You can also provide a hide close to the enclosure for them to aim and run at that, I have done that before but it is not really needed. An escape three times in one week seems to me like the little guy is being disturbed much more than needed and doesn't have somewhere to hide. Good luck and congrats on your new spider. - Chad

funkymonk

Arachnopeon
A little box has just arrived at my office can't wait to get home and unpack my new slings...

VenomousFangs

Arachnopeon
Excellent choice of pokie, when I recieved my P.striata on Wednesday I was quite paranoid about putting him/her into the rearing jar (Tall/500ml) due to the reputation of pokies, but I think I was lucky as he went into the jar slowly and without any problems, It was the GBB that gave me a fright tho, little sod lept out and onto my hand like a facehugger from alien. Onlything now is the P.striata is sitting comfy on the inside of the lid probally planing escape waiting for me to remove the lid.
Always exercise extreme caution, and enjoy

funkymonk

Arachnopeon
Unpacked and re-housed into 500ml jar with cork bark, substrate and little fake plant, yep was fast and shot onto the back of my hand as soon as I unrapped it from the tissue paper, but carefully eased it into the jar where it quickly settled at the base of the cork under one of the fake leaves. A great looking little spider, even at this size has a lot of the adult markings. Just had its first feed in my care, took a little cricket very quickly, very pleased with my new addition.