Urticating Hair

rattlesnakejake

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas about removing urticating hairs after messing with tarantulas. I know the common sence thing to do is wear gloves but even then, i always seem to be iching on my face and forearms afterwords. I dont even haft to handle them. Ill just be doing basic cage maintnance and then start up. Any tips would be awesome. Thanks, jake

Sukai94

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wash with cold water. Don't rub it, scratch it or touch it. Clothing rubbing against can also irritate it. With me especially along the collar. I usually take a cold shower after going in the spider room. Put on fresh clothes after the shower. It helps a lot. -Jamie

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
listen to jamie! but if you get like blondi hairs use duct tape but itll hurt!

TB3Redneck

Arachnosquire
I got haired by my G. Rosea about a week ago( she was hardening up for about 5-6 days after a molt and I took her out cause she was too pretty :3) and its STILL driving me insane. My right hand is itching sooo much :(

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
Gloves tend to be bad idea since you may have difficulty feeling what the spider is doing. The biggy is do your best not to breath in the hairs and keep em out of your eyes. The rest is no more than irritating. It usually only last a couple hours for me though. I've read to use cold water or warm or hot as you can stand but since Jamie has the experience, cold would be what I would do. I've also heard of the duct tape thing to with the soft tissue areas.