Is this new home okay for my salmon pink?

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Just wanting to make sure this is okay for my sling. I had him in a different place but I cracked it (dont worry, hes fine..I was putting an airhole in it and boom haha.)

I've made sure the substrate doesn't allow him any space to fall, I've sprayed one half of it and it doesn't seem to be too big or small. I just want advice I'd haate to lose this sling. :(

If you're wondering what the pot is..it's a grape pot from the college canteen lol, thank god I had it.

Thanks guys, your reassurance/advice means a lot.

Josh Perry

Arachnosquire
looks fine to me just make sure you remember to spray the sides as this is where they drink from since it's too small for a waterdish.

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
Whoa dude what kind of spider is that huge black one with two eyes to the left of the enclosure?!!! Lmao no seriously though that enclosures just fine. Just remember to mist one side of it about once a week or so and you should be good. I'd get a bigger enclosure soon though because after a molt or two your current one might be too small. This species grows big and very fast. But for now that ones just fine.

Petross

Tarantulaholic
Arachnosupporter
It looks good, but may be i just reduce a substrate level on a half.

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Hahha the napkins show a kind of rare species..the asda tarantula :p. I was there the other day and they had plastic cups, paper plates and napkins. So I bought a cheap celebration cake and gave my B.Smithi a Thursday party. I don't think she enjoyed it. Haha.

In regards to less substrate..isnt that dangerous? I mean, the sling climbs quite a lot and if he falls I'd be pooped.

I'm so cautious now because I've lost 2 slings, and if I lose this one thats it for me and slings for a while, so I need to ensure I don't let anything happen that can be prevented :)!

Petross

Tarantulaholic
Arachnosupporter
Enclosure aesthetics < live tarantula
LP are one of a few species, that hole life travel, they don't even make a burrow and making a web nest even for a while. And if you reduce just a litlle bit substrate, spider will have more space for moving and it wont be that high for kill the sling if falls.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
LP are one of a few species, that hole life travel, they don't even make a burrow and making a web nest even for a while. And if you reduce just a litlle bit substrate, spider will have more space for moving and it wont be that high for kill the sling if falls.
Do you have any literature supporting this? I've never heard this before. I know they have a habit of sitting out in the open but I've heard of them burrowing before especially as slings.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm thats strange my lp burrowed as a sling (although as he got bigger he stayed in the open more and more) but I always knew he was special ;) !
good choice on the lp! One of my favorite species! Feeding time is always fun! Everything looks good to me - good job!

vickywild

Arachnoknight
I understand where you're coming from with the whole less substrate thing but it won't allow the spider more room to move. If you look at the enclosure it gets smaller the lower down it goes. The height the substrate is at now gives the spider the most roaming room as well as it being a spider-length away from the top, which, as I'm aware, is the best thing to do for species that will climb.
He has and does burrow :). My boyfriend rang me not last week to panic that "we've lost the baby" haha. But he was just burrowed.

He also eats like a machine lol. Never seen him catch anything but nothing lasts more than half an hour in there with him I'd say.

cnapple

Arachnoknight
You wouldn't lose a sling from a fall even from the top of that container to the bottom. The "substrate rule" is more important for adults and juvs who have heavier abdomens. Up to you, as it's probably fine either way. If your sling does lots of burrowing, leave it as it is.

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Really? Because I lost my G.Pulchra sling just after he'd taken a fall. :/

I'm not trying to argue with you by the way, any advice to me is good, but I'm just trying to accommodate the little guy the best I can :).

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that housing is great for a small t. i wouldnt change a thing... also , id like to add that IVE had a parahybana ( a BIG ONE at that) and he was in the open for the most part, but burrowed plenty. he used to web up the inside of his hide and roll dirt/web up like carpet and he'd drag it out of his hide... just sayin

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Haha sounds awesome.

Ah I can't wait for him to be bigger.

How often are the molts forthese guys?