What's Your Opinion?

VenomousFangs

Arachnopeon
Hi Im New To The Boards & Am A New Tarantula Owner, I Made Sure That I Done My Research First Infact I Read The Tarantula Keepers Guide 3 Times Aswell As A Few Other Books, For 2 Months Before Commiting To Get A Tarantula.
But Before I Knew It I Was Already Hooked, I Had A List Of My Top 25 Most Wanted Before I Even Owned 1, Well The Other Day I Aquired My First Tarantulas, Here Is What I Got :

Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens
Venezuelan Greenbottle Blue
(Juvenile)

Lampropelma Violaceopes
Singapore Blue
(Juvenile)

Poecilotheria Striata
Mysore Ornamental
(Spiderling/Juvenile)

Pterinochilus Chordatus
Killimanjaro Mustard Baboon
(Spiderling)

Salenocosmia sp. 'Sarina'
Sarina Whistling Spider ?
(Spiderling)

Well Thats Them I Purchased Them From TheSpiderShop And I Am Very Happy With Them, I Cant Wait To Get More But Will Have To Wait A While.
Anyway The Reason For This Thread Is I'd Like To Know What Peoples Opinions Are On My Choice And Any Tips Would Be Highly Appreciated, I will Check Back On This Thread Tomorrow.
Thanks.

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
Good choice of Ts :3
Just be prepared for the consequences of owning fast and defensive species. (eg. bite, escape, sudden death)
If you can handle it, then it's fine.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
take your time, be very careful, eyes open and alert at all times, never lose respect...it'll be alright

boxofsorrows

Arachnopeon
Nice!

Best now to delete your bookmarks to TSS and forget the place exists, if not you'll end up "window shopping" whenever you're online and spending a fortune :biggrin: They're canny folks there, a load of my T's came from them.

Watch those OW's, much as you've read up still make sure you afford them that bit extra respect.
I do like the look of the L. violaceopes, once I sort out more space in the house it's one on my list to consider.
Pokie, excellent, everyone should have one!

I was looking at the P. chordatus myself when I put an order in last week, only reason I didn't add one was, when thinking about my spare space, it didn't have a vivid colour appeal like the P. murinus which I already have. Still one I'll probably pick up when there's spare room in the house for more bugs.

Enjoy your T's and welcome to the addiction :cool:

funkymonk

Arachnopeon
Wow, some nice spiders there, best of luck and welcome to the hobby, you have certainly taken the plunge straight into the deep end with some of the species you got there, but I'm sure you will be ok, just be careful with those OW species, especially when they get a bit bigger! My P striata should be arriving today from TSS along with a couple of others, will be my first arboreal species can't wait...

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice collection and welcome to the hobby.

Just a suggestion - first letter of the genus is capitalized, species is lower case. i.e.- Poecilotheria striata, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, etc.
Also, not necessary to capitalized each word in a sentence.
:biggrin: Sorry, my OCD is running a little rampant this morning...

synyster

Arachnobaron
Nice collection and welcome to the hobby.

Just a suggestion - first letter of the genus is capitalized, species is lower case. i.e.- Poecilotheria striata, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, etc.
Also, not necessary to capitalized each word in a sentence.
:biggrin: Sorry, my OCD is running a little rampant this morning...
I'm pretty sure he was on a mobile device that capitalizes each first letter on it's own ;)

Nice acquisitions! As mentioned, be careful especially with the LV, they are lightning fast and very defensive. All the others are pretty much also ;)

Have fun!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure he was on a mobile device that capitalizes each first letter on it's own
Ah, that would explain it. Thanks for the suggestion. Seemed like a lot of trouble to go to. I quit sending from my, um, 'mobile device' as, even with the darn predictive text turned off, it still managed to send aberrant messages. Stupid smart phone...

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice choices . . Not usually recommended when starting out.
You will get a new meaning for the word Fast. ha ha
Advice: change the terrariums in the bathroom sealed off.

Last edited:

VenomousFangs

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for your replys, I need to remember to stop starting every word in capitals, it's one of my many bad habbits plus I'm using iPod touch to do this as don't have a laptop, but anyways thanks again for replys and my T's seem quite happy at the moment, I plan to get some pics done sometime next next and I'm going to feed them tomorrow so that should be intresting