PDA

View Full Version : My first time coping with spider death



superfunTtime
10-14-2011, 12:16 AM
My venezuelan suntiger sling died.

I don't really know what went wrong. Room fluctuated between 74-80 degrees. Had plenty of humidity. No mold. I kinda power fed her, but I had never read about that leading to a death. She sealed off her tunnels and went into hiding after her abdomen got extremely fat (relatively).

The first molt I saw her through was really quick. She was only in pre-molt for 2-3 days and grew from dime sized to quarter sized. I dunno if she had a problem molting or got over-watered or is just a finicky sling and died or what.

Super sad though. :cry:

rattlesnakejake
10-14-2011, 01:40 AM
its an unfortunate situation but it happens. sounds like you had everything about right. my guess would be that it was a bad molt. as far as over feeding goes, that seems like a debate that will never end between tarantula keepers. i know of people who feed a ton, and never have any problems. others dont feed heavy. sorry for your loss. jake

KenTheBugGuy
10-14-2011, 04:13 AM
I hate it every time I a loose one but it happens and nothing we do can stop it sometimes. I tell people that spiders/tarantulas like us can have many ailments and since we are not "spider doctors" we don't really know why some of them die and never will. Your care seemed fine. Don't blame your self but just bad luck :(

I can keep 100 exactly the same for very long periods of time and 10 out of that 100 drop off for no apperent reason....tells me that something in that 10 had something wrong with them to begin with or something in the enviroment changed beyond my control.

Popsmoke63B
10-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Don't beat yourself up over it, unfortunately it happens. I'm truly sorry for your loss.

lunashimmer
10-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Awww, so sorry. It's never easy to lose a pet, whether it be a cat or dog or hamster or goat or tarantula. :(