First Tarantula!

AgroRD

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, i know you guys probably get this alot. But im looking into getting my first T, i was in my entomology class about a month ago and my prof.
brought out one of his Ts that he has. When everyone else shied away i was immediately enthralled by everything about it. So after alot
of thought i have decided a want to get my first T.

I live in the gulf coast region of texas so preferably something that needs high humidity (usually in the 90's% back home) and something pretty docile as this is my first. I am looking at the mexican red knee as that seems to be the consensus on a good starter. I have also been
looking at, Antilles Pinktoe (i love webs), Brazilian Black Tarantula, i would also like something that can grow to be fairly large.

Any help would be greatly appreciated for choosing a species, habitat, and care.

Thanks for all the help
Curtis

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
the red knee, Brachypelma smithi is a good starter, but doesnt need that high of humidity..they also seem to easily kick hairs....a good arboreal starter that needs high humidity would be Avicularia avicularia, very gentle, pretty, about any avicularia is a good starter really...

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you like the webs go for the Antilles Pinktoe ( Avicularia versicolor). They do like the humidity and make awsome tunnel webs. They can be nervous and skittish tho. The other already mentioned above is the Avicularia avicularia which is your common pink toe. They are also webbers and are a little calmer than the vesicolor so they make an awsome first arboreal (tree) spider. Just make sure you do your homework on any you choose and hang around the forum for awsome information and a slew of people willing to answer any of your questions. I hate to see people jump into getting one on a whim. One thing I will say...if you get one there WILL be more! It's hard to avoid the addiction.

A Simple Thief

Arachnopeon
Hooray another newbie! :) I like to see more people getting tarantulas. It makes me happy. And the Chilean Copper is a pretty cool tarantula and it's pretty hardy and really calm. At least mine is. And the comment about the addiction of tarantulas... it's true and rather frighting. It's like some kind of magnetic pull that get's stronger the more you resist it. I am actually looking for an arboreal species right now. -_- And as for the arboreal species the Versicolor seems to be pretty cool. I don't know much about it though.

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
+1 on Avicularias, and B.smithis. They make good begginers. If it's high humidity you want the Avic genus is for you. They're also aboreal and don't take up much horizontal space.

CMZ1234

Arachnopeon
I'm from Houston too. Typically the outside humidity is high up to 90% around 8-10 months out of the year. But inside the house the humidity is probably around 50-60%. Yeah I'm new to T world. My friend has one and I've been doing some research and asking other owners. I know Poeci's aren't for beginners but man do they have some crazy colors and patterns.

Last edited:

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B. smithi of course, though the humidity may be a problem. An easier Avic such as Avicularia avicularia or Avicularia versicolor (as you said) could work. Maybe even Lasiodora parahybana as it fits every one of your criteria other than the docility, but they aren't THAT bad. Fast growth and high humidity for those guys.

A7xConnor

Arachnosquire
G. pulchra, A. geniculata, B. albopilosa, C. cyaneopubescens, G. pulchripes,these are all good starter species but some of these won't appreciate the high humidity /: like the C. cyaneopubescens. But if that humidity level is continued into your house then I would go for the avic :)

CMZ1234

Arachnopeon
now the question is where can I find a good breeder for a G. pulchripes?