B. smithi sling passed away

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
I received a B. smithi sling in the mail tuesday and it seemed really stressed. within 5 hours of receiving it it started molting. After the molt it seemed fine and I was giving it 3 or 4 days to harden up before feeding and when I checked on it today it had died. My guess is it overly stressed, but im not sure. Any ideas of what could have caused the death? Also a replacement is being shipped monday.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
in a small vial, coco fiber substrate, misted sides and slightly misted substrate. room temp was between 72-76
Sounds about right. The only thing I could see wrong is that it may have been too dry. None of us can say for sure without having physically seen/felt how wet/dry it was, but that's pretty plausible. I'm not trying to demean your spider-keeping ability in any way, but it's possible.
I personally underestimated how much humidity these guys needed. I got four B albos, four LPs, and six B vagans all in one day and lost two of each due to moisture problems. I learned that one the hard way! Every single one of those who didn't die that day are still kickin right now.

I'm sure you'll learn from whatever mistake it was and the next B smithi will be absolutely gravy. I know I'd be torn if mine died.

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
Sounds about right. The only thing I could see wrong is that it may have been too dry. None of us can say for sure without having physically seen/felt how wet/dry it was, but that's pretty plausible. I'm not trying to demean your spider-keeping ability in any way, but it's possible.
I personally underestimated how much humidity these guys needed. I got four B albos, four LPs, and six B vagans all in one day and lost two of each due to moisture problems. I learned that one the hard way! Every single one of those who didn't die that day are still kickin right now.

I'm sure you'll learn from whatever mistake it was and the next B smithi will be absolutely gravy. I know I'd be torn if mine died.
i felt the substrate and it felt pretty moist. idk after looking at the sling it looks like it had a wet molt

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Doubt it was too dry. I've kept Brachypelma slings relatively drier than what you describe and they were fine.

Sounds like you've done everything right to me, and just had a stroke of bad luck. At least you are getting a replacement. Hopefully one that isn't in premolt.

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
Doubt it was too dry. I've kept Brachypelma slings relatively drier than what you describe and they were fine.

Sounds like you've done everything right to me, and just had a stroke of bad luck. At least you are getting a replacement. Hopefully one that isn't in premolt.
thats what sucked the most, it had to be stressed out and it got stuck in the mail an extra day cause of columbus day.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
Then it must've been bad luck and bad timing. It happens to everyone who buys slings. This next one will serve you well. You plan on keeping it for 25-30 years?

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
Sorry to hear about your sling bro, I've got a B.smithi @2.5" and it's one of my favorites.

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
Sorry to hear about your sling bro, I've got a B.smithi @2.5" and it's one of my favorites.
this one was maybe 3rd instar .5" but still I wish the lil guy had pulled threw. I was looking forward to watching it grow