Have you ever watched your Ts dig?

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
This is a short video of my Molly (G rosea). She's recently (today, actually) become a bulldozer. As you see in the video, there's a wall of substrate on the left of where the "hole" is where the video starts. That wasn't there when I left for work this morning. I actually caught her in the act and decided she'd be okay with my filming it.
Not sure why she's digging; it must be a tarantula thing. She's been in this setup for about three months. She used to be in a five gallon but I rehoused her because that was a bit superfluous.

I never really knew how they dug, but I've now seen it with my own two eyes and now so can you!

[video=youtube;bt7x9V6Mocc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt7x9V6Mocc[/video]

EDIT: Sorry for the 360p; it was recorded with my HTC Thunderbolt (<333) and uploaded through my pos Toshiba laptop. I'll get a more manly computer one day. Until then, my videos will be in 360p.

Slevin

Arachnosquire
wow! my tarantulas dig all the time but i've never seen one actually web the dirt in order to make it easier to carry in bulk. amazing

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow - thats awesome!
Ive seen my lp dig for burrowing dubias but never seen a t lay silk down and then pick up and carry the dirt!

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
for hours...lol if your lucky you get to see them poop too!!!!

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Haha my rosea does that. She's actually made a new entrance to her hide by digging, and she moves it like a carpet too.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
awesome, now to see mine do it in reality :D. Oh about the poop...I had one take a dump on me before, it was cold...

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
awesome, now to see mine do it in reality :D. Oh about the poop...I had one take a dump on me before, it was cold...
Hah yep! B vagans claimed me :p

---------- Post added 10-15-2011 at 07:05 AM ----------

Update for anyone who cares: She's now standing in exactly the same spot where the video starts. I imagine she's been there all night. The constructions seems to have come to an end. I wonder how this thought process intiates. Obviously they don't know any form of English, etc., so it baffles me how creatures like this organize thought. I realize it's all instinct, but how it's carried out is just amazing and I don't think it's something we'll ever truly know.

Fins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow that is really cool to watch. Looks like she's on a mission. Ive never seen any of mine dig, just find the aftermath in the water bowl.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
Btw what substraight are you using?
The substrate I have is mostly PetSmart brand soil that comes in a brick. However, she used to be in a 5 gallon filled about 1/4 with sand until I realized I should fill it up more. I filled it from there to 3/4 with substrate. Months later I rehoused her because my friend needed the 5 gal for something and I mixed in the sand/soil mix with the bucket of soil I had on hand at the time. The little green and blue rocks are just little green and blue rocks. That 5 gal used to be an aquarium. I figure the less I have to buy the happier my wallet will be.

Jenthevet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LOL! <3! And spiders supposedly have little to no brain power. ;) She's a beaut and smart, too! My G. pulchripes dug and toted dirt before and my MM G. rosea dug into the substrate to snatch a superworm. When my C. fasciatum sling started digging and toting substrate, I started jumping around and clapping giddily like an idiot. I love watching them do housework. :)

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow! my tarantulas dig all the time but i've never seen one actually web the dirt in order to make it easier to carry in bulk. amazing
My sentiments exactly! This is an absolutely awesome document! Congratulations on being at the right place at the right time. My vagans is the bulldozer of the family, and I've seen him transport substrate in his jaws like an elephant carrying logs in its trunk, but I've never before witnessed what you've captured on film. I'll say it again: awesome document!

Tarantula_Tamer

Arachnosquire
Love watching T's dig!

a mix of coco fiber (expanding brick kind) and sand works great for large tunnel systems.