Flagstaff Orange Care? Help?

missbizy

Arachnopeon
Got a beautiful one year old flagstaff orange female today from my boyfriend's mom, but I have never owned one of these spiders before (my experience with arachnids is limited: one peruvian pink toe tarantula, an emperor scorpion, and an arabian fattailed scorpion.) ALL of the information I find on these guys varies online, so I figured I would post on here and see what information you guys had to offer so our new family member gets the best quality of life.

Will she do alright with coco blend or should I invest in sand? I don't suppose she needs too high a humidity level, as she is a desert spider, but what's a good humidity, and is 70 too low of a temp? I'm very sorry, as I mentioned, new to this... lol.

She also seems very skittish, and the temperament I have found online range from docile to defensive, so I would like to know if she will eventually becoming a good spider to handle, or if this will stress her too much and I should just avoid it as much as possible.

Anything else I might find useful? Thank you so much for your input in advance! I will get photos up as soon as I find my camera. She is absolutely beautiful!

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very easy species to keep.
Room temperatures are fine. Moderate humidity is good, some people keep them dry but keep a water dish with them. I never allow it to totally dry out, but never et it get wet. I just poor a small amount of water in the corner once a week or so and keep a water dish with them. Sand is no good for it, use the cocanut stuff. Somtimes smaller tarantulas can be more skitish than adults. Even when it grows up it will never really like handling, every now and then is fine.