My GBB and the Bathroom!

VenomousFangs

Arachnopeon
My GBB and the bathroom! A experience that I'd thought I'd share.*
Well after the amount of times it has been adviced to use the bathroom when dealing with T's I didn't realise how beneficial/burdensome this could be.
I just recently got my first T's (5 in total) and everything went sort of ok when using the bath to put them into their enclosures/rearing jars.*
Well last night I decided to take some photos of the GBB, being that he/her is a juvenile and also that I thought it would be easier to get some good pics of a terrestrial instead of a very fast pokie.*

And so it begins, I moved the enclosure into the bath shut the door used a rolled up towel to cover the gap under the door, had everything ready in reach. The camera, 25cm tweezers, a clear air tight sandwich box (minus the lid) and a piece of card.*
I carefully uncliped the enclosure lid and lifted it of and in the few seconds it took to place the lid down and pick up the camera my little GBB was half way up the bathroom wall.*
Now I knew I had to be calm but I was panicing as I knew I had to rescue him/her lest it die by falling, so I tried to coax it into my hand but the split second it's front leg or pedipalp touched my hand it ran faster than I could see up my left arm around the back of my neck and down my right arm and back up the wall, at this point I was getting stressed out but was trying to keep calm then I remembered the sandwich box so I grabed that and tried to cover the little trouble maker but it just wouldn't stay still and I didn't want to rush and cause a injury, well when I finally had it covered another problem arose, how to get the piece of card as it was on the floor and I was standing up with my arm reached up holding the escapist in place so I had to stand one legged on tiptoe whilst using my other foot to slide the card near enough for me to reach with the tweezers.*

Finally after 45mins I finally had the blighter safely in the enclosure. I have to admit it even if I didn't get to take a photo the experience was chaos at the time but thinking about it now it was quite fun, but I'm not going to try that again in a hurry, I just hope i didn't stress out my little friend (think I might name it Stuntman?) Also I don't want to imagine what it would be like if the Singapore Blue or Mysore Ornamental got out with their speed.*

boxofsorrows

Arachnopeon
LMAO!!! Ahh fantastic stuff and thanks for sharing the giggles mate!

This side of T ownership I've yet to experience, I know it's coming with time but hopefully not for a while yet :D

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
Hah the bathroom is for the weak ;)
I do everything in my room. I had a 1" P cambridgei run up my arm then down my back to between my shorts and my leg in about the amount of time it took the enclosure to complete a one-foot fall. Those things are so much faster than Pokies, idgaf what anyone says. I've seen both with my own two eyes. Pokies are of manageable speed; P cambridgei is just too dang fast. And they JUMP! Avics are the arboreals to handle. That's pretty much it.

Anyway, I did not have fun getting the bugger back into its home. It didn't quite take 45 minutes, but it seemed like days. I wasn't afraid of a bite, but trying to remain calm and focus on not crushing the T is a challenge when it's hopping around my body!

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Next time you'll set up the camera and record vid... but of course next time that won't happen...

Hobo's bag method is still the best. I had to move a little Tap the other day. I put old and holding enclosure in the bag. T runs into the bottle cap (water dish). I simply picked up bottle cap where it was crouched and moved into holding cube.

I'd hate to try moving anything in my bath - it's huge, and there are shelves and cabinets all over. Thanks for a fun story and visual, though!

Marga