Pink Zebra Beauty look-a-likes

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awhile back I bought what was sold to me as a female PZB. The more I look at her and compare her to other PZB pics I'm beginning to wonder if she's really a PZB at all. To me she looks like she could maybe be an A. seemani, but I'm not sure. If any of you can give me any specific characteristics I could look for I would be grateful. Even if she's not a PZB she's still a sweetheart. So calm and docile. I think she actually enjoys having her abdomen stroked...lol

Attachments

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What Tryris said
...is that why she has a bald spot? lol jk but that does look a bit off from a PZB from my point of view. is she an adult?
LOL..No she actually had that bald spot when I got her, but I'm sure I don't help it. She's about 3.5" - 4". Her legs just don't seem to have the hair length I've seen on other PZB pics.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
Looks like it's probably been a while since she molted. Wait until she does and see if the legs' "hair length" is satisfactory. Looks PZB-y to me.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awhile back I bought what was sold to me as a female PZB. The more I look at her and compare her to other PZB pics I'm beginning to wonder if she's really a PZB at all. To me she looks like she could maybe be an A. seemani, but I'm not sure. If any of you can give me any specific characteristics I could look for I would be grateful. Even if she's not a PZB she's still a sweetheart. So calm and docile. I think she actually enjoys having her abdomen stroked...lol
Not PZB, most likely its Acanthoscurria species
Woh!, this is like deja vu, I remember thread very similar to this one

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It doesnt look like a Eupalestrus campestratus to me.
(why do we need abbreviated names like PZB?, the scientific name above is the universal way
to explain to people what species you are asking about - thats how the system works)

Firstly, the hind legs are not right. For Eupaleastrus the tibia of leg IV should be swollen (incrassate), yours does
not appear to be (if you agree), so its is very probably not any Eupalaestrus. The hairs of legIV are also much
more elaborate on E.campestratus than on yours, but thats not a reliable diagnostic feature.

These are Eupalaestrus campestratus
http://sklipkani.cz/polozka/481/Eupalaestrus-campestratus
I imagine if yours is female, the shape of the spermathecae isnt right for E.campestratus either. You tell us.

I expect it is one of the Acanthoscurria species from South America, such as those sold as Acanthoscurria suina

Sending a moult to someone willing to look at taxonomic characters would be a useful next step.

A key to the different genera is here, look up what characters define Eupalaestrus and Acanthoscurria, here
you can see character 16: 'tibia IV incrassate' (ie= swollen) is one of the most useful characters to identify
whether you have Eupalaestrus or not. I dont think you do.
http://www.theraphosidae.cz/taxonomy/key-theraphosinae.htm

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If the spinnerettes aren't orange then it is not an A. seemanni. In which case, I will say Acanthoscurria as well. E. campestratus have thicker and longer hair on their back set of legs and abdomen.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks guys! I knew someone on here would guide me right. I have to agree with Acanthoscurria. Problem is that genus is sooo big it's hard to narrow it down. From looking thru some Acanthoscurria species she looks most like either A. insubtilis or A. suina. I may never know, but I don't really care. She's one of my favs. She's never molted in my care so I have no idea how long I will have to wait for her next molt. A fresh new suit may help id her further. The downside to all this is now Í'll be back on the hunt for a real E. Campestratus...lol.