How to Kill feas without killing Tarantulas

andy375hh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am having a heck of a time with fleas in my house. Is there any way to kill them without killing my Tarantulas. I did a search and the last one was from 2007. Does anyone have a good way to kill these little pains in the you know what? I have treated my dogs and cat but they keep reappearing.

Steven Valys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
remove all carpet. Dogs and cats on monthly prevention? Mice, rats, squirrels living in the attic or basement?

Grin

Arachnoknight
we had this issue a month ago.
instead of using flea powder, mix 50/50 salt & baking soda and sprinkle it in the carpet. leave for 24 hrs.
after thats done give the animals another flea bath and after i usually spray them down with lemon water or vinegar water, wash all bedding.
oh and i went out and bought a lice comb and went through the animals myself. it works super well.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Or you can use any orange oil based cleaner. The active ingredient (D-Limonene) dissolves the exoskeleton and kills them within minutes by destroying cell membranes. I had a massive flea infestation that I couldn't get rid of by all the salt and baking soda remedies. I sprayed the orange oil on the carpet and within 20 seconds had fleas jumping out of the area and twitching. They were dead within a few seconds after. So I just used a carpet cleaner with orange oil in the solution and did all my carpets. As an added precaution I used a spray bottle and periodically misted the carpet a week or so later to get any newly hatched individuals I missed.

It is toxic to invertebrates, but the oil stays in the carpet and is not airborne. This means it will not harm your tarantulas unless you spray them directly.

And instead of buying the overly expensive concentrated bottles at a supermarket, go to HomeDepot or another home renovation store to their cleaning solution isle and you should be able to get an industrial sized bottle for a fraction of the price.

Crickeylynn

Arachnopeon
I was also going to suggest using salt in your carpet. And vacuum everyday, immediately dumping whatever was vacuumed. Advantage or frontline like you said, and if you want something to kill the fleas off your pet immediatly you can bathe them in BLUE dawn dishsoap, or use a capstar. Two summers ago my roommates dog brought fleas into our apartment and it became infested. Fleas all over my cats. It was an ongoing battle, but for the mosy part it was under control.

andy375hh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have bathed my cat and dogs. And Luckily I have hardwood floors in my house with just one rug. Abaxas can you spray that on the furniture also?

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have bathed my cat and dogs. And Luckily I have hardwood floors in my house with just one rug. Abaxas can you spray that on the furniture also?
It's best to try it on a small less visible spot before you try it anywhere else. Some fabrics it may stain or discolour. None of mine did, but I've heard of it eating away varnish on various wood pieces and leaving splotches on some fabrics when used at higher concentrations.