Sexing mantids

Brak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These are some of my L5 Sphrodomantis lineola (I think). Is this the right way to count the segments? Thanks

John

Last edited:

Brak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
and another

Last edited:

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
count the segments, yes. but from the belly side of the mantis. counting from the top, you could forget the first segment!

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
:eek: I DIDNT KNOW THAT!!!! I went all summer asking everyone HOW to tell male from female!! IM glad you posted this Ive always wondered!!
So do you count the other way metallica?? from the end to the front or the way that Brak did??
Michelle

Brak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok...can we nail this thread down? Metallica says to count the segments from the underside so you don't miss the first one. Ok. But in the example I posted is the numbering and sexing correct? For this species is it 7 segments = male and 5 - 6 = female? Anybody with the answer please wade in. I think that different species have different segment counts. Is this correct? Thanks for your help.

John

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With any species that I am aware of, more segments = male, less = female. I also like to count from underneath.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Basically, if you can count MORE than 6 segments on the underside it's a male. Also, the last segment on the female will be really long, while the males's will be small. After you get used to looking at this, you begin to recognize the sex before you even actually count.

Wade

Brak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks Wade. I think I have a selection of males and females so I will be able to practice. They will become clearer as they molt. Some are L6 now and quite the eaters.

John

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was going to mention the size difference but Wade beat me to it. The females have a larger last segment and you don't have to count to tell easily.

Phil