G. rosea ready to molt?

tigasuku

Arachnopeon
I realize that interpreting or predicting tarantula behavior is not an exact science (or art) but our G. rosea is behaving strangely. From everything I have read most tarantulas will stop eating some time before a molt. Ours has eaten ravenously since we brought her (? 50/50) home. In fact, she pounced on a cricket yesterday without any delay. However, last night she was very busy laying down silk at the entrance to her burrow. I have a red light for night observation and she was being very busy until I went to bed.

This morning I see that she has covered the burrow entrance completely with silk and even moved some substrate to the front like a little berm. When I set up the habitat I opted for slightly changing elevations to present a more natural environment and her burrow is deep in the sense that it extends downward into the substrate and in that it is long from opening to end. Consequently, I can't really see what she is doing and that's by design...sometimes you just don't want to be looked at and she has a choice in the matter.

I'm about 70% sure this is pre-molt behavior and she may opt to fast in her burrow before starting. I have reconciled myself to the fact that I may not see her for a while. I'll do my best not to disturb her and keep the humidity at an acceptable level - otherwise, it's just crossed fingers. :geek: