Removing Live Cricket NEED IMMEDIATE HELP!!

NewToIt

Arachnopeon
So my Chromatopelma molted around 5 days ago and I thought I'd feed it...
I got a small cricket from PetSmart (Although it seems to be larger than any of the other small crickets I've bought from them...), I pinched off a few legs and crushed the cricket's head. I thought it was dead.
I put it in the cage and I come back 20 minutes later, my little tarantula climbed up the wall and is afraid to go down to the ground because the cricket is moving around, not jumping at the tarantula (it can't nearly reach it) but still moving...
My enclosure is a small terrestrial spiderling kit (http://www.jamiestarantulas.com/enclosures.htm) and I'm not sure how to get the cricket out without the risk of hurting my T...
PLEASE HELP!!

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Relax. Just get it out, it's no big deal.

ViRoLoGY

Arachnopeon
Do you not have any kind of long fedding tongs whatsoever?
The fact you crushed the crickets head surely means it can't actually bite your T either, no?

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are you afraid the T will escape as you try and get the cricket out? I agree with the tong idea. Should be the easiest way, but if you're afraid of the T making a dash for it then why don't you let him out into a catch cup while you go back for the cricket. Problem is you can't do that every time and I'll guarantee this won't be the first time you need to remove food around an active T.

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
:laugh:Lol he is scared. I'd be scared too if a walking dead cricket came at me..

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Or just give the cricket and day to die and watch it get eaten. Relax! There isn't much to worry about here...

Tarantuman

Arachnopeon
Kill the cricket, use anything that will smash it, worry obout getting it out later.

thruthetrees

Arachnosquire
You can take your sling out and then remove the cricket if it's really worrying you...

Get a deli, sit on the floor in a safe room and, gently guide the sling into the deli.... remove the cricket... and guide the sling back in... Use a paint brush and gently tickle the sling (you really only need a single hair or 2 on the brush to touch it and it should respond/move...). Otherwise, like everyone else said... relax :) Your sling should be just fine :)

Spiderman24

Arachnoknight
Sorry but your tarantula is not "scared" of the cricket. And as for the cricket being alive they do twitch when they are dead. There is no reason to freak out at all. If he tarantula really felt threatened it would be fighting that cricket to the death. Its not scared its probably just not hungry amd wants to climb on the wall. You must remember that is the spiders territory andit will dfemd it if it wants.

NewToIt

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for the help! So last night I just got my pair of hemostats and went to work. Fortunately, the cricket seemed to have ripped off his big legs and did little hopping. He still hopped around too fast for me to catch, and he ended up in a corner. I caught him, cut off his head and all his legs, and put it back in just in case my spider got hungry. So this morning my T ate the cricket (or at least what was left of it...).
I swear to god these crickets are immortal... once one managed to find a place to hide in my enclosure-- AFTER IT WAS DECAPITATED.
And Vilurum, the issue was that I was afraid I'd risk hurting my Chromatopelma in the effort of removing the cricket. Kind of funny, when the magical hemostats of God came in to catch the cricket, my tarantula was just sitting there all chill even though they got close to it.

T Freak

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for the help! So last night I just got my pair of hemostats and went to work. Fortunately, the cricket seemed to have ripped off his big legs and did little hopping. He still hopped around too fast for me to catch, and he ended up in a corner. I caught him, cut off his head and all his legs, and put it back in just in case my spider got hungry. So this morning my T ate the cricket (or at least what was left of it...).
I swear to god these crickets are immortal... once one managed to find a place to hide in my enclosure-- AFTER IT WAS DECAPITATED.
And Vilurum, the issue was that I was afraid I'd risk hurting my Chromatopelma in the effort of removing the cricket. Kind of funny, when the magical hemostats of God came in to catch the cricket, my tarantula was just sitting there all chill even though they got close to it.
I thought you had already crushed the head and cut off the big legs before putting it in so just a bit confused there.
I’m dealing with the same issue only I didn’t do anything to the cricket first and put in two cuz they so small and now I think the t could b in premolt. So hopefully all turns out ok.