T's don't care about you...

ViRoLoGY

Arachnopeon
So this is partly a mild rant and also a celebration in how little we can actually predict the behaviour of our T's even when we do have them in enclosures.
My story begins in July earlier this year with my purchase of my Cyriopagopus sp/L. violaceopes sling (Singapore Blue):
Cyriopagopus sp. Sling.jpg

As you can see, such a cute little thing barely bigger than a bottle cap. (After careful research of it's molts I've hesitantly deduced it's a male btw)
It started in a small 100ml beaker, and sometimes would come out to web over the sides, including webbing the thermometer probe in place.
Once it had completed a couple of molts it was time to give it a bigger home, so I chose the smallest scale kritter keeper to monitor the humidity a bit better. The move was around 4 weeks ago. I caught a glimpse of him during a particularly hot day (yes, they do happen in Ireland :sarcasm:) when the humidity in the habitat dropped a bit and it was hanging around the water bowl:
Tammy Full.jpg
Not so tiny now.
But once conditions returned to normal he returned and has still not accepted a single cricket.
I have not seen him since.
What's more he seems to have completely webbed over the entrance to his burrow as well:
Habitat_Tammy Hiding.jpg
Bit hard to see, but the top of the burrow is on the right.

I expect this of course from such a young spider, but thought it strange that the crickets that kept going in would always find their way to the dawn of a new day, and so I'd take them out. Figuring she was in pre-molt, it didn't bother me that much thought.
Though quite obviously by the picture he's a fat little spider and shows no signs of dehydration. Happy days.

Following on from this, I acquired my new Grammostola Pulchra (Brazilian Black) literally three days ago.
And this beautiful girl is around 2.5" leg span. Here she is before she went into her habitat:
Rio_Handling1.jpg
I figured I'd throw in a cricket to see if she was hungry considering she was so calm. She absolutely savaged the little thing, so I figured that she had molted quite recently.
The following day I come home from work to find this:
Habitat_Rio Hiding.jpg
She has her hide totally blocked up, presumably also (despite feasting on a cricket the day before) in pre-molt.
So I just wanted to share my experience with you so far about my two little T's, and to get it off my chest that one of the reasons I love spiders so much is this adaptability. They don't care that I'd prefer to see them, but I feel a little deflated about my €65 G. Pulchra going missing after less than a day. :happy:
Still, a happy tarantula is a tarantula you can't see, right?? :biggrin:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
good times...the little guys will definitely do what they want wont they....

ViRoLoGY

Arachnopeon
Too true man! In terms of molting though it's always a bit of excitement to see what they look like afterwards. I'm sure the Singapore has possibly even had two molts since the last time I saw it. I'm anticipating it getting too big for it's hide by the time I see it again. Haha, :L

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
haha i know what you mean...my little B. smithi molted not long ago, and she got some adult coloring, and it was pretty cool...i was actually able to tell she was a she from her little 2" molt...i usually have to wait til they are 3" or bigger to tell

ViRoLoGY

Arachnopeon
Distinguishing the sex of my L. violaceopes is currently a mammoth task considering it destroyed her last two exuvia and the best underside photo I ever got from her was the one above before she darted back to her hide. So with my limited experience (and somewhat unadulterated optimism) I'm fishing for a female. But considering the frequncy of molting and how 'leggy' it is I'm leaning more and more toward a male... Random question actually, B. smithi or B. auratum? I have the option to get both and I'm somewhat more drawn toward the Flame-Knee.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah i know...it seems like the arboreals like to tear up the molt in the exact spot....terrestrial molts seem to come out perfect.....yeah ive got a few T's growing like that too...my larger P. cambridgei just molted and got really leggy and all of a sudden acts just like my OBTs...as far as your brachy question..go with whichever you like most....you know either way you will get the other one next, or down the road. lol

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The following day I come home from work to find this:
My G. pulchra did the same thing. As I posted on another thread recently: I acquired my ~2" G. pulchra on 8/29/2010. On 9/1/2010 I came home to an enclosure with 6" of substrate, a hide, a water bowl and a hole. Three and a half months and two molts later he decided to re-emerge.

terrestrial molts seem to come out perfect
Ummm, if I could please have that in writing to present to my terrestrials? :biggrin:

ViRoLoGY

Arachnopeon
you know either way you will get the other one next, or down the road. lol
This is exactly what my girlfriend keeps telling me, but considering she's offered to buy me the B. auratum for an early Christmas present maybe I'll get myself the smithi. :D

Three and a half months and two molts later he decided to re-emerge.
Are you serious?! haha! Well that's a fairly expensive pet tank of dirt I now have!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are you serious?! haha! Well that's a fairly expensive pet tank of dirt I now have!
:laugh: Ah, but once he came out, he's stayed out ever since! Hangs out in his clay pot hide, but when I take the top off the enclosure, he comes out and 'poses'. Very sociable fellow now. :) Wish my B. emilias would take some lessons from him...

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A tarantula will be a tarantula no matter how hard you try to dress them up as something else. One of the reasons I like them. I can always count on my L.violaceopes to put two holes in me if I don't use my 12" tongs around him. LOL!

T Enthusiast

Arachnopeon
LOL. Silly little Grammy. Same thing happened to me with my G. pulchripes. She was my first T. I fed her the 2nd day I got her, she devoured her cricket, then decided it was time to molt. 2 months later she came out. Now she's back in premolt again. Lol.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have a 6" female G. pulchripes, and she likes to get a huge wad of coco fiber, and then she wraps her whole body over it, and can barely reach the ground with her tippie toes, and she has her fangs deep in it, then tries to walk around with it...then she will get off of it and star bulldozing it everywhere...maybe she is really wanting a sac to carry around? might have to find a boyfriend for her then..haha

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have a 6" female G. pulchripes, and she likes to get a huge wad of coco fiber, and then she wraps her whole body over it, and can barely reach the ground with her tippie toes, and she has her fangs deep in it, then tries to walk around with it...then she will get off of it and star bulldozing it everywhere...maybe she is really wanting a sac to carry around? might have to find a boyfriend for her then..haha
Get her a ping pong ball in the mean time. ;-D Haha!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
haha yeah she would love that...i would be too afraid that she would break a fang on it though..