B. smithi or chicken?

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
Hi all. Long time listener, first time caller. I have had this new T for 5 days now. It is, I assume, fresh outta the sac. This is the first spiderling I've owned from the beginning, my other is a 14yr old G. rosea I inherited. This sling has burrowed and is very active for the most part. I'm getting more worried everyday with this little guy. I put 1 flightless fruit fly in there every other day and so far he will not eat. If the fly touches him, he will go berserk and run as far away as he can even try to climb to no avail. There has been no molting going on and judging by the activity level and no pigment change I assume there is not one coming on although I'm sure these tiny ones molt semi-often. Is this normal behavior? If so, I need some consoling here. I don't want to see any T die. 5 Days!!! He is too small not eat, right? Will he starve quicker because of his small size? Will they let themselves starve to death because they can never calm themselves? I've read several post, some saying they ate as soon as they released em to an enclosure and some say they can go weeks without. No post, I felt, were specific enough to my problem and the search function never does me any good so I apologize if this is answered somewhere else. To worry or not to worry.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It's fine. Five days, even for a sling, is nothing. I feed my second instar spiderlings (fresh out of the sac, I suppose) every two weeks without issue.
Perhaps try prekilled, or a cricket leg or something. I've found that younger ones more readily scavenge than attempt to take down rowdy feeders.

Popsmoke63B

Arachnosquire
With most Ts, young or old, they will eat when hungry. With slings, prekilled seems to be a popular choice, as mentioned by Hobo, they seem to scavenge better than they kill. I have a 4" A.avic that runs from everything i try to give her, and she hasn't eaten in over a week. No worries, like i said, they'll eat when they're hungry, with slings, you might have to do the dirty work!

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I agree with everyone else here. Slings will sometimes take prekilled more readily. Pull the leg off of a cricket and toss it in :)

5 Days is no big deal, even for a little one. I usually only feed my slings that size once a week and they are as fat as can be.

cnapple

Arachnoknight
To ease your troubled mind; in my lab we are running feeding behavior trials in which I am feeding 2nd instar Nhandu chromatus (tiny little specks like your brachy) every 4 weeks. They are doing fine. Now this is much less often than most would want to feed their pets (glacial growth rate), but they are surviving. Just wanted to put it in perspective for you. As for the rest, I agree, try pre-killed or even a different food source like pinheads in case you just have a picky sling.

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
Awesome! Thanks alot. It helps to hear similar ordeals. Sooo glad I found this place.

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
Update: I did the dead meat feeding this evening and I am happy to report it has been eaten. Thanks again ladies and gents. I feel sooo much better.

jim777

Arachnosquire
It's a great feeling when you see a new sling you were worried about finally eat something, congrats :)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
To ease your troubled mind; in my lab we are running feeding behavior trials in which I am feeding 2nd instar Nhandu chromatus (tiny little specks like your brachy) every 4 weeks. They are doing fine. Now this is much less often than most would want to feed their pets (glacial growth rate), but they are surviving. Just wanted to put it in perspective for you. As for the rest, I agree, try pre-killed or even a different food source like pinheads in case you just have a picky sling.
Very much looking forward to the results when y'all are finished up. I hope you'll post them if, if possible?