My tarantula has no fangs

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got this large G. pulchripes a while back. He/she molted a few weeks after my purchase, but hasn't eaten since. It won't take water and has a tiny abdomen. Also, to my surprise, it looks to have no fangs; just reddish flesh and hair. This is puzzling.
Could it just be a MM?
Please help. Thanks :)

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Check the palps to make sure, male parts are hard to miss.
Got a pic of the mouth we can see?

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Unfortunately no. I can try later, but trying to handle and maneuver the T is too difficult and stressful for it, I would imagine.

0siris

Arachnosquire
try to coax it to walk up the side of it's enclosure with a paintbrush. That way you could snap a picture through the glass without handling the T directly.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
try to coax it to walk up the side of it's enclosure with a paintbrush. That way you could snap a picture through the glass without handling the T directly.
thanks. i sort of hope its just a MM but i doubt it

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Mature males tarantulas have fangs. So, if it doesn't have fangs, it's not because it is or isn't a MM.

Arachnoholic

Arachnopeon
Were there any complications with the molt? Or has there been anything "traumatic" to happen since then. Because the only thing that I can think of for not having fangs would be they were "removed" somehow. T's are pretty fragile... Did it have fangs when you bought it??