I need moral support :(

DannyH

Arachnobaron
Okay, so I really eft up with my tarantula. I left her in school with a full water dish, but I didn't know how fast water evaporates, so when i came back it was empty and she was in a partial death curl. I put her in an ICU and cried in a bathroom stall for my study hall. I left her in the ICU and shes doing better, moving around more, so I think she'll be fine, but still, I'm upset. Anyone have any similar experiences they can share? I'll give an update on her tomorow.

Walk Alone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, you learned from the experience and that is good. Looking forward to the update, and best wishes for a full recovery. :)

I accidentally killed a sling some years ago. I think it was a B. vagans, if I remember correctly. It bothered me for a long time, but it was a mistake I definitely learned from.

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what kind of time frame? weekend, week, month? Over a weekend and no water dish shouldn't even bother most tarantulas. I'd be willing to bet something else caused her to go into a death curl if it was, in fact, a death curl.

darksidemxer

Arachnopeon
thats what i was thinking bazz. my mom didnt water my obt for around 3 days while i was on vacation and he is fine. possibly it was insecticide being sprayed? or airsole? i know when my gma used febreeze airsole in my room she inadvertanly killed my snake. i read the airsole gives snakes nerve damage if its in large amounts.

Dreadlock Wolf

Arachnopeon
Yeah Bump on Bazz..

I've heard of T's going for quite a while without water.

So what was the time frame?

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Insecticides sound more likely. As many have also stated above, T's are generally fine going without water for a bit. Unless you left your T there for a good month or so, it doesn't sound like that's what caused the death curl. Nonetheless, hope your T gets better and quickly!! :(

thruthetrees

Arachnosquire
Another 1+ on Bazzgazm... Unless it was a very long time without water, it was probably nothing you did (or didn't do) that caused your baby to curl.

I killed a sling the very first month as a T owner. I didn't have the deli/substrate moist enough for it and it was unable to molt because of the low humidity/moisture (that is what I think happened). I felt horrible for a few weeks--I still feel bad because I was responsible for it... But, I learned from my mistake and I won't let it happen again.

What type of T is it? Some can go much longer without water... A G. rosea would survive longer w/out water and w/low humidity--an Avic would not last nearly as long.

DannyH

Arachnobaron
It was only a weekend, but she had not eaten in 2 weeks. I think she was fasting. And i'm positive it was a death curl.

Update: She seems the same, maybe a bit worse. She is still in a state where she can barley move her legs, but she is still better from when I first found her. Tommorow I am going to try to water her with a syringe. I really hope she gets better I couldn't live with myself if she doesn't. I'm also going to check if she was a MM. The breeder I got her from had a slight reputation for selling males as females. The abdoman also seems plump and unwrinkled.

Edit: To answer questions, she was a P. scrofa, a tarantula that is baisicly a orange mini rose hair.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Unless you live in a giant food dehydrator, that is not nearly enough time to kill a tarantula by water neglect. As was suggested, airborne chemicals are probably to blame. Is it WC? That would indicate a different set of causes...

DannyH

Arachnobaron
I'm not 100% sure she was captive bred, but I'm pretty sure she was. I'll take her home tomorow incase its chemicals.

Edit: They also keep lizards and snakes in that room, so unless its insecticide, I don't think they would spray anything.

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
Well, you learned from the experience and that is good. Looking forward to the update, and best wishes for a full recovery. :)

I accidentally killed a sling some years ago. I think it was a B. vagans, if I remember correctly. It bothered me for a long time, but it was a mistake I definitely learned from.
How did you kill it?

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know what you mean. I tend to beat myself up a little when something goes wrong with a pet. I did for quite a while even though I still to this day don't know what killed my blue fang. I will try again with that species some day. Is her cage close to a window? That tends to speed up evaporation.

angrychair

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you never mention what species it is, what size it is, what enclosure it's in, or anything specific.