Best Outreach T.?

Tann

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get a T. to give to my school's outreach program. We have a number of reptiles, but I thought we should have an invertebrate representative as well, and who better than T.s for that?

I've been doing a lot of reading, and I personally think the following T.s would be good candidates;

B. smithi - most specimen being docile, fairly easy to take care of, good coloring
G. pulchra - same as above, though I've heard they can sometimes be even more docile
C. cyaneopubescens - easy to care for, good presentation of webbing, good coloring
Avic. avic - docile, good coloring, good presentation of arboreal species, webbing
Avic. versicolor - great coloring good presentation of the variation spiders can have

The criteria I've applied has been as follows;

1. Ease of care. -A T. that does not require all too much complicated care would be best. Humidity is negotiable, the setup and housing could mostly compensate, though I've been leaning toward the very simple drier climate species overall.

2. Handleability. -The reason this is important is simply because the professor doing the outreach would need to be able to coax the T. into a travel container. Actually holding the T. would not really happen unless necessary.

3. Stress tolerance. -As the animals need to be transported to the various elementary schools and such the T. would need to have a fair stress tolerance overall to being handled, transported, and then returned to their enclosure later.

4. Size. -Children tend to be able to appreciate things when they are of moderate size. The importance of a creature's life tends to go up with size in most people's minds. Having a T. that is a good size would allow them to recognize insects and arachnids more as living creatures than the simple idea of 'bugs'.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
All those are good. The versicolors can be quite fast and skittish though, and I even get a threat posture from my girl every once in a while, and smithis tend to hair a bit too but generally are quite docile. You might also want to give B. albopilosum a look. Generally calm and slow moving and a lot of people handle them. As far as stress level goes, transporting it from one place to another is gonna cause any T stress. Only suggestion I can make on that is once you get to your destination give it a little time to settle in before trying to interact with it. All that being said I'd say either the B. smithi or B. albopilosum would probably be your best bet. They're some of the easiest T's to care for.

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
I'd say Grammostola pulchripes, or the Chaco Golden Knee. They are generally quite docile, and are quite hardy. As adults they get pretty large at 8" leg span. Adults do well in a dry environment with a shallow water dish, and a lot of them spend their time out of their hide.

Brachypelma species do tend to be docile but many individuals will readily flick urticating hairs which can be quite irritating to some peoples skin, and is very unpleasant if it gets into your nose.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lasiodora and Acanthoscurria species are big, impressive T's (with the Acanthoscurrias having some cool patterns). However, they do need moderate humidity. They aren't the most docile T's, but not too aggressive or skittish either.

Last edited:

mmfh

Arachnobaron
G. pulchripes. Docile and even tempered, very easy to keep, and attractive.

cnapple

Arachnoknight
Brachypelma albopilosum or G. pulchripes are probably your best bets temperament and care-wise. G. pulchripes is probably a little "prettier" and might appeal more to the children. IME, B. smithi is going to be more of a hair-kicker than you want, and G. pulchra would be a great choice, but get ready to lay down a pretty penny if you want one with any sort of size to it. A. avicularia is also a great choice if you're willing to go with a species that needs a little more humidity.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
P murinus, P cancerides, P fasciata, and H maculata seem like great places to start.
Oh, lots of kids will be around these you say? Sounds like a great decision.

If nobody's going to man up and decide on one of those spp, my other vote would be for B albopilosum.

1hughjazzspider

Arachnoknight
P murinus, P cancerides, P fasciata, and H maculata seem like great places to start.
Oh, lots of kids will be around these you say? Sounds like a great decision.

If nobody's going to man up and decide on one of those spp, my other vote would be for B albopilosum.

You would really recommend one of those species for a guy who seems to be looking for a generally docile T and will be interacting with children?

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think a Brachypelma albopilosum or an Aphonopelma hentzi would fit perfectly with your requirements.

Art

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Key words are colorful, hardy, and docile. That would made a perfect representative.

Tann

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies everyone! It seems like B. albopilosum or G. pulchripes are the most favored choices so far, and one of those are what I will probably end up going with.

I like the other ideas as well. Though I'm beginning to think that having a faster T. would probably stress the T. out itself with all the moving in and out of cages, and probably scare or intimidate kids that have an established fear of small creatures already. Not to mention it could be a hassle chasing the T. around trying to get everyone prepared for the venture itself.

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Though your prof may already considered this, I will mention it just in case s/he has not. After deciding upon a T to take along to the schools, taking along pictures of a colorful variety of other T's to present as part of a short slideshow could be valuable. This would enable exposure to a "token" T, as well as showing off the array of colors present amongst T's in general (like the beautiful blue of a juvie A. versicolor & the color of the adult)

synyster

Arachnobaron
You would really recommend one of those species for a guy who seems to be looking for a generally docile T and will be interacting with children?
He was joking.

I'll kick in on G. pulchripes, A. geniculata, A. metallica or why not a G. rosea?

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I'll kick in on G. pulchripes, A. geniculata, A. metallica or why not a G. rosea?
If you want an arboreal, than I agree with A. metallica. In the end, each spider is different and it would be a good idea to let the seller know your intentions. You could even put up a WTB add and specify the species your looking for and the specimen must be docile and tolerate handling. Good luck with your search and keep us updated. - Chad

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Having participated with several other local members in the Dallas Museum of Science days, I'll give a few tips. Reclusa (here on this board) brings a number of Ts - and usually in their own homes. Then if he wants to have a T out, he simply taked it out of it's own home. No travel cups involved, unless the home IS a deli cup.

I have taken a number of my own Ts, and done the same thing. My A. moderatum, an OBT that will sit out in plain view, a P. Irminia that also doesn't mind being in the open. Albopilosums are great for this, even an A. hentzi. Reclusa usually has an Avic of some kind that will move around on a hand. My moderatum, Vogue, sat on my hand for six solid hours and probably only moved six inches because I made him - my hand was falling asleep.

I personally have a view that it's not just the species but the individual creature as well. There are days when Vogue comes out of his home and perches on my hand on his own... other days when he comes up to the top, touches my palm, and then turns and goes back down. His choice, as it were.

I also have a photo album made up of photos of my own Ts (with over a hundred Ts I have bunches of pix). The Lividums burrow, but I have photos!

I've made up coloring pages for the kids, too. This way they can see real Ts and photos in various colors and then go create something stunning - purple, orange, stripey - and have FUN!

Marga

Tann

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the fantastic replies so far everyone! Definitely good ideas in here that I'll definitely try to get implemented.

As for species, I think it would really be best to try and get a few different T.'s eventually for diversity. Though, as is, I can only really get one individual. What I can try to do is get a juvenile or maybe an adult as the first species, then rear slings of the other species and introduce them when they're ready.

I definitely think G. pulchripes, and B. albo are of the candidates for the first T., and I think I'll post up soon in looking for one of them soon.

As for future additions it seems like A. avic and A. metallica are both good choices for arboreals. GBBs are just awesome, though I will most likely get one myself and include them into the program.