can you id sex

arhamy

Arachnopeon
i was told by the store its a male i just want to make sure. 327343_1864851760300_1811209200_1235735_673667487_o.jpg it has the bigger pedipalps just want to make sure

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you the sex from that picture. If you can't get a better one, you may need to wait until she/he molts.

arhamy

Arachnopeon
will do. what do i need to look for in a molt.

---------- Post added 10-18-2011 at 04:47 AM ----------

By the way im new to the t world

cnapple

Arachnoknight
It's not mature, so the pedipalps are not diagnostic at this point. There are some good sexing tutorials on this forum already. Try doing a search for them. Basically in a molt you are looking for spermathecae, a "flap" between the book lungs. For ventral sexing, we'd need a much clearer shot of the epigastric furrow. Here's a good link if you want to try it yourself.

http://www.birdspiders.com/faq_sex.php

advan

oOOo
Staff member
We will need a lot better picture to even make an attempt at guessing the sex. It is a lot harder to determine sex in Avicularia via molt. They always destroy them or twist them up. It takes a lot of patience and precise unraveling to unfold their molts. The spermathecae in Avicularia is not a "flap" and is also pretty tough see. I wish they were as easy as terrestrials. Those guys pretty much hand you the molts and say "Are you ready to find out?" :D

Click here and scroll down and enlarge the drawings of spermathecae to see the differences in shapes.