New spiders inbound!

superfunTtime

Arachnopeon
I'm expanding my tarantula collection from 4 to 7! After my precious suntiger P. irminia sling died, my wife wanted to make it all better with more spiders, so I ordered a 4" Brachypelma sabulosum, 3" Euathlus sp red and a 4" G. rosea RCF.

I am super excited and they will be here in less than 24 hours. One thing I am confused on with regard to the Euathlus sp red - what is the actual species name? I know there's a red form and a yellow and I think gold, but I've had trouble figuring out the latin species name. Is it truculentis?

Also, I've read up on the other two T's and have a pretty good idea how to house and care for them, but any extra advice is welcome.

boxofsorrows

Arachnopeon
I've got a Euathlus sp Red and had a truculentus (which didn't do well from getting it and died), they're quite different. I'm not aware of a species name associated to the red's. They're a lovely little T though, very laid back in my experience and no special care needs so simple to keep.

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When you see a name like Euathlus sp. "red" or Genus sp. "xyz" that means they are not a described species so they have yet to get a name. For it to have a scientific name, it has to be thoroughly studied and keyed and the report/article peer-reviewed and published. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The "red" part is just some label that a dealer somewhere gave them, and you could call it Euathlus sp. "cuddly"('cause they are just so docile and sweet) and you'd be just as correct as anyone else other than the fact that "red" is more commonly known/recognized in the community since this is what it's come to be known as.

As far as sp. "red" vs sp. "yellow"(and "orange" and "flame" and "chilean flame" and etc.), I don't believe them to be different species, just the same spider being sold under different names, though others disagree.

Either way, it is an awesome tarantula and one of my favorites. Mine has always been extremely gentle with people yet doesn't hesitate to crush a cricket. The colors are more amazing that pictures can show them to be(though we all know this is true with any T). They don't get too big, they're very simple to care for. As I'm sure you read, pretty much just keep it like a Grammostola rosea. Mine, whom I've name Llama pequena(Little Flame), is kept on dry coco fibre with bottle cap for drinking, I put in 2 pieces of bark as a lean-too against the side and she went to town digging out underneath and covering over the top with dirt and webbing. Most the time she is out in the open, but otherwise she's clearly visible in her hide. She's always been readily handleable. All in all a fun tarantula.