Terrible News...

Blaze

Arachnopeon
so I'm a freshman in college... moved into my dorm....decided to bring my favorite T with me, which was my first T, which was a beautiful Rosie... I was out working last night and I came home to a terrible sight. my roommate was passed out on the bed with empty liquor bottles everywhere, and my enclosure was shattered on the ground in my room... i dig through the rubble, hoping my rosie is ok, but it didn't turn out as positive as i hoped. she was dead. lesson? room mates SUCK.:mad:

Verneph

Arachnosquire
You should probably ask for a transfer if he's that idiotic. Sorry for your loss.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Very sorry for your loss. Not sure what actual recourse you have, other than a talking-to with roommate. If Ts aren't allowed in the dorm, you can't report her loss. If there is other damage to your room... and liquor isn't allowed, then time to talk to the RA. At any rate, your dorm-mate needs to do some apologizing and replace your T.

marga

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Report your room mate for breaking your stuff and drinking. I don't know of a single campus that allows for drinking in the dorms and most take it very seriously.

Edit: I'd say start by reporting it to the RA, and since some don't care, don't be afraid to take it to the next level up(while also alerting them that the RA didn't take action when you reported it to them)

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know of any dorms that allow alcohol either. Additionally I don't know of any that allow T's so that could limit your options.

I'd first have it out with the roommate and see what they plan to do to make amends. (Though I realize even s/he buys you another T it won't be the same.) If that goes nowhere, talk to the RA. If that is useless, go above the RA's head.

I'd also suggest switching rooms if that is possible

Blaze

Arachnopeon
I really can't report it to the RA's because I'm not supposed to have a T in the dorm. all I could have i a fish. what i did was put wallpaper of fishes on the inside of the whole tank so that you can't see what is inside of the tank , and said it was there for decoration, and when you remove the top of the tank, theres a block of cardboard painted black under it so you really can't get in unless you know how. so if i report that he killed my T, i get written up for bringing something illegal in the dorms. he said he'd buy me another T, but honestly no amount of money can replace it.

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You don't have to report that he killed your T. You just have to report that when you return to the room he's passed out drunk with empty alcohol containers everywhere. Shouldn't be too hard to prove since I doubt it will be the last time it will happen.

Deftones90

Arachnosquire
go and dump all his other alcohol down the drain. Then when he asks you about it just say "oops"

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
If it were me, I'd sit my roommate down and make it very clear the depth of sentimental attachment you had to the T., and that you don't expect to see any future incidents of drinking inside the dorm.

Don't threaten to turn him in - if you make yourself clear, he'll get the message and you might be able to salvage the roommate situation. Never burn a bridge if you can avoid it - grace goes a long way towards a better road in life.

Incidentally, my favorite T's aren't my priciest ones. I have two rosies.

My deepest condolences on your loss. Regrettably, I know what it feels like.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Report your roommate for the excess drinking and let him know how much this has affected you. College students are almost all idiots when it comes to alcohol. Very sorry for your loss.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd toss the T and report him for shattering your tank and for the alcohol. With the T gone he has no evidence against you. However, I would only do this if it resulted in the removal of the roommate.

jim777

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately, you do need to keep in mind that whatever you do, if it doesn't get you a new room mate it could end up becoming a much bigger hassle for you for the rest of the year. Try and get it straight with the room mate if you can. No point in getting a ton of folks involved if the room mate is going to be staying, he could make your life a living hell if he decided to go that route.

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
I'd beat the snot out of him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ridiculous. Sorry for your experience.

thruthetrees

Arachnosquire
Report your room mate for breaking your stuff and drinking. I don't know of a single campus that allows for drinking in the dorms and most take it very seriously.
1+

Getting drunk and passing out on campus in a dorm... tsk tsk TSK...

I am SO sorry for your loss :( That is horrible :( I would be absolutely devastated!

I think reporting to the college/dorm that you came home to broken possessions (maybe not mention the T--but not lie/hide if they know/ask) and having to deal with a possible alcoholic (if he was passed out w/so much alcohol--how do you know if he was alcohol poisoned or OD on something else, ect.. Do you call an ambulance, etc? It's not your prob to deal with something like that... and, by having to share a room with him--it becomes a problem for you. T aside, you shouldn't have to worry about coming home to someone passed out! They might give him a warning and kick him out if it happens again... You should at least have the right to have a new room or roomie...

You signed up to learn, not to babysit an irresponsible reckless drunk. He is messing with your education that you are paying for!!

I am really sorry for your loss :( I hope that you're able to get something resolved... Not that it will ever replace your T :(

ArachnoAddic808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would beat the holy crap out of him
+1

If it were me, I'd sit my roommate down and make it very clear the depth of sentimental attachment you had to the T., and that you don't expect to see any future incidents of drinking inside the dorm.

Don't threaten to turn him in - if you make yourself clear, he'll get the message and you might be able to salvage the roommate situation. Never burn a bridge if you can avoid it - grace goes a long way towards a better road in life.
Nah i would really second this.
Really sorry bout your loss

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I hate to be the hippie in this militant riot but it is partially your fault. You knew Ts were not allowed in the dorms and you left your T were other people can get to it. As the saying goes "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind." and assault is a worse offence than destruction of property no matter how much you liked that T. I'm sorry for your loss but don't go making a warpath over it.

Last edited:

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL I like all the "I would beat the holy crap out of him" responses !! ha right on
Really it was a accident tho right .?
He was drunk lost his balance and tarantula lost the battle . Personally I would be cool with a roomy that drinks, just tell him to keep his Stupid arse upright !