My Psalmopoeus irminia now a mature male

mirro1958

Arachnopeon
I got a good glimpse at my recently-molted P. irminia and could clearly see it's a male. Now, I have two P. irminia in my collection, both bought at the same time from one vendor and molt cycles in both were highly synchronous (I think it's reasonable to expect these are siblings). The second individual molted as well and does NOT show male features. I haven't been able to sex these spiders using molts, since they are kept in relatively large, natural displays - it's difficult to get fresh skins without being terribly intrusive. Given the synchronous moltings and the fact that the second one doesn't show male features by now, I'm guessing it's a female. My question is, when can I expect it to be mature?

I would like to attempt a mating, however, not with my male; I would rather trade my male for another one to maintain genetic diversity.

cnapple

Arachnoknight
How big is your other irminia? Do you have any old exuviae? You could use the soapy water method for re-hydrating an old exuvium to sex.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Assuming female due to lack of MM features is in no way an accurate way to sex. It could hook out next molt. Wait for it to molt again and get the exuvium out and sex it. That is the only way to be accurate and it should not be bred until you can confirm female.

mirro1958

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately the most recent exuvia got destroyed when the spider expelled them from its hideout. I'm hoping for better luck next time.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
Unfortunately the most recent exuvia got destroyed when the spider expelled them from its hideout. I'm hoping for better luck next time.
It might be worth it to bug "her" onto the glass and get a ventral shot. Your chances of successfully determining it's a female are increased substantially if you decide to do this.

NickC4

Arachnosquire
I don't own one but isn't there a big color difference? Like the female has that striking orange but the male is pretty bland.