S.C. targets all non natives

EricRoscoe2

Arachnopeon
Arachnid folks might want to take notice of this one:

Upstate lawmaker to reintroduce exotic animal regulation bill
COLUMBIA (WACH) -- A senator from the Upstate is reintroducing an exotic animal bill following the escape of several dangerous animals in Ohio earlier this week.

Sen. David Thomas of Greenville says the bill would dramatically limit the importation and sale of non-indigenous animals in South Carolina. The Palmetto State is currently one of 12 states without limitation on exotic creatures.

"There is an ongoing importation of exotic animals into South Carolina, which endangers the environment and even human life," Thomas says. "For example, exotic snakes are being imported and could be explosive in harming an ecosystem that does not have natural predators to keep them in balance. Animals that could cause great harm are being imported from Africa and Southeast Asia. I again call on the SC legislature to deal with this issue before our state experiences a real problem."

Thomas has sponsored a similar bill twice in the past.

Could an animal escape like Ohio's happen in SC?

This announcement comes on the heels of news that an exotic animal farm owner released more than 50 animals before killing himself in Zansesville, OH. Officials there shot and killed dozens of animals that were on the run, including tigers, lions and bears.

An autopsy shows the owner, Terry Thompson, had a bite wound on the head from a large cat. Investigators think the wound occurred shortly after Thompson shot himself.

What do you think about tightening state regulations on exotic animals? Vote in our poll and leave a comment.
www.midlandsconnect.com/news/story.aspx?id=676874

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah thats some crazy stuff...i live about a half hour from where that all happened...really sucks those idiots that no nothing about animals killed all those...and they shot a girrafe and camel too...yep those are pretty dangerous....i have heard all of it on the radio for days....and that stupid guy surely didnt help any of those animals by freeing them...there were 52 released, only 6 were taken alive...1 monkey never found, presumed dead because our weather is getting to high 30's.....

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
Do you have a link to the actual bill? I would be curious to see what species are named.