Arachnids and alcohol.

jbalboa1981

Arachnopeon
Don't worry, this isn't one of those "I like to get drunk and play with my spiders" kind of post. Rather, my little story of how a few Tarantula's helped me out of a really dark place in my life. After a bad divorce, I started to drink, a lot more than normal, heavily at times. I moved from a case of beer a week, to about a case a day. Then liquor, mostly vodka, and beer. I work construction, so it effected my ability to perform at work, and my boss was family, so it was just overlooked. I went from 175 lbs. to 249 lbs. in about 9 months. I got to the point, where all I wanted was a drink, didn't care how I got it. The only time I would stay sober, was when I got my daughter on the weekends. I was in a depressed state. Then, about 2 years ago or so, my sister got me a......you guessed it, a G.rosea, for my birthday. I had always wanted one when I was younger. That spider, R.I.P. Raven, totally did something to my (at the time) warped brain. I read everything I could about about the species, and then......I wanted more. When I decided on a species I wanted, I would spend hours, researching it. Learning everything I could from anywhere I could. My daughter also loved them, and loved to watch me feed them (still does). Long boring story short, I actually spent my free time, learning about certain T's, that I really didn't even think about drinking. I still don't, I love my T's way more than booze. They fascinate me. I'm not saying, people who drink are bad people, so don't flame me. I'm just saying, it took over my life, and I found something else that I enjoy more. I'm also down to 179 lbs., not from T's, exercise of course. LOL. Sorry for the long winded story. Just felt like telling it. Peace.

TB3Redneck

Arachnosquire
Amen! Im 15 and I love my T's more than any other possessions I have :) Gotta love the stuff the haters hate lol!

Amoeba

Arachnolord
You swapped one addiction for another. Be warned this hobby can be just as addicting as anything else.

Thanks for sharing, glad you got over that bump in your life and found your way to our own dark little corner.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Don't worry, this isn't one of those "I like to get drunk and play with my spiders" kind of post. Rather, my little story of how a few Tarantula's helped me out of a really dark place in my life. After a bad divorce, I started to drink, a lot more than normal, heavily at times. I moved from a case of beer a week, to about a case a day. Then liquor, mostly vodka, and beer. I work construction, so it effected my ability to perform at work, and my boss was family, so it was just overlooked. I went from 175 lbs. to 249 lbs. in about 9 months. I got to the point, where all I wanted was a drink, didn't care how I got it. The only time I would stay sober, was when I got my daughter on the weekends. I was in a depressed state. Then, about 2 years ago or so, my sister got me a......you guessed it, a G.rosea, for my birthday. I had always wanted one when I was younger. That spider, R.I.P. Raven, totally did something to my (at the time) warped brain. I read everything I could about about the species, and then......I wanted more. When I decided on a species I wanted, I would spend hours, researching it. Learning everything I could from anywhere I could. My daughter also loved them, and loved to watch me feed them (still does). Long boring story short, I actually spent my free time, learning about certain T's, that I really didn't even think about drinking. I still don't, I love my T's way more than booze. They fascinate me. I'm not saying, people who drink are bad people, so don't flame me. I'm just saying, it took over my life, and I found something else that I enjoy more. I'm also down to 179 lbs., not from T's, exercise of course. LOL. Sorry for the long winded story. Just felt like telling it. Peace.
I'm so glad that tarantula hobby help you change for the better. I wish you the best

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Good job! Hooray for the Ts! I used to be a little irresponisble too, until i started this hobby :). It does wonders.

boxofsorrows

Arachnopeon
Good on your mate and well done. Alcohol is the worst addiction for the damage it does and that it is legal. I was the same for quite a while, knocking back anything upto 1.5ltr of Vodka some days until I finally broke free of it at the start of this year, so I know what it's taken for you to do the same. I just started with T's in the summer and they are brilliant for giving a new and very enjoyable focus.

Keep it up, and again 'well done'!

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Love my Ts. And I love my booze (but tarantulas still take priority). :biggrin: