So I almost died today.

Transient

Arachnosquire
Warning: Contains me being disrespectful and mischievous.

Alright. If you've read my other thread you know that my mother won't let me keep tarantulas in the house. After quite a bit of trying to compromise I realized it's futile. But I am a rude, mean child and refuse to be deterred.

For a while I've been thinking about the five gallon tank that's been sitting in my barn a quarter of a mile away. Well, today my mom and her friends went out for lunch and I happened to feel especially sneaky so the moment she left I threw on a coat and set out to fetch it. The Ts I want are actually available in the sizes I wanted, so that should have been my first clue that things are going to go all cock-eyed on me at any given moment. I set off down a grassy trail through my backyard anyway.

The moment I reach the barn, a huge St. Bernard comes out and growls at me. My train of thought goes like this:

Oh god, why
It's going to maul me
I deserve this I am such a bad daughter
That dog is cute I want to pet it

My brain goes into "I'm so scared I can no longer make rational decisions." mode and I said hi to it. It and another dog that materialized out of nowhere run at me and right as I acknowledge and accept that my life is over, they start wagging their tails and turn out to be friendly. So after that things should go smooth right?

No.

I find the tank, and it turns out my brain must've deleted a one because it's not a five gallon, but fifteen. And it's full of snake accessories. And it's glass. I take it off the stand and start dragging the heavy load across the dirt, and up til that point had been ignoring their barking in the background. Then I heard my neighbor shouting. I drop the tank and run and crouch down as he approaches to tell the dogs off. I'm convinced he's going to find me, immediately know what I'm up to and he's going to tell my mother and she'll kill me and of course I'm going to die trying to get a tarantula, that is just so like me.

I squatted in the dirt for about ten minutes. He was about seven feet from me at least and if me sneaking to get a tank wasn't odd enough, finding the tiny neighbor girl rolled in a ball in a barn, staring at you like an owl would just generally put me in a zone of crazy not formerly known to this man. But he left, so I continued my endeavor.

Wait, there's more! I knew time was running out to get this tank to my house and hide it before my mother returned. I didn't bother emptying the tank but instead just grabbed the edge and dragged it, quarter of a mile, through tall grass, with my squishy stick arms that haven't experienced exercise since I was 16. I got it to my back deck without being spotted by the neighbor on the way, and proceeded to dump the contents out and give it a quick brush-off. I tossed out the bedding and fake leaves, and I found a brand new unused heating mat, a water dish, and a hide so that was good. Then death came.

My mother and her friends actually drove around on another trail and past the barn, and if I didn't haul my butt inside with a quickness I would be caught and therefore dead. At this point my adrenaline turn me into She-Hulk and I doubt I'll ever be able to move so fast again in my life. I met my mother face-to-face right as I closed my bedroom door, blocking the tank from sight.

Long story short, there is a big ol' tank in my room that I went through a LOAD to get.

Also I am ordering four Ts.

Good times.

A Simple Thief

Arachnopeon
That is insane. And awesome. And just out of curiosity how much research have you done on tarantulas? And do you have anymore tanks than that 15 gallon one?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I see this ending badly.
Uh yeah....agreed.

You're ordering spiders when you were told by your mother not to? So, you're going to hide them? What happens if your mother finds them? It will likely end badly for the spiders. Whether you like it or not, you live under your parents roof and part of that is respecting their decisions. Not only is it disrespectful to go against her wishes, but you are possibly endangering the lives of these tarantulas.

YellowBrickRoad

☆Klaasified☆
Arachnosupporter +
Cool story for sure. :) Make me want to take a walk and hope for that much adventure. :) Secondly, despite what your mother says, Its what you want. If there hadn't been 3parent figures in the house all the time, I'd have at least attempted to keep a few Ts when I was younger. I don't know maybe just to see how long it would take before anyone noticed. Don't let any of these Try-hards persuade you into not getting something you want. They are just spiders, Tarantulas, Bugs. No one is going to lose a life if they get caught! Not you or the T's. So IMO I say go out and have you a little bit more adventure, at least your not having kids with no daddy already.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Warning: Contains me being disrespectful and mischievous.

I didn't bother emptying the tank but instead just grabbed the edge and dragged it, quarter of a mile, through tall grass, with my squishy stick arms that haven't experienced exercise since I was 16.
Interesting story. . . Wait .. how old are you ?

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Next step on getting killed is saying: "Screw tarantulas, I am getting a cute baby Copperhead appropriate for these accessories."

Transient

Arachnosquire
I knew I'd get these reactions haha. I'm ordering three G. pulchras and a B. albo, all slings. I've been researching their care for weeks, and tarantulas in general much longer than that. My mother goes into my room never, and in the highly unlikely case that she did they're going to be kept in my closet on a shelf that can only be seen if you go into the actual closet. I'm not jumping into this randomly. I have planned out what I'd do and say if she found them, and what she'd do and say. Worse case scenario: I'd have to sell them. Likely scenario: I move them to the insulated shed behind our house.

I know this seems like an overall bad idea, which it is, but only because of the amount of telling off I would get. Honestly, I'm in more danger than the Ts are.

Interesting story. . . Wait .. how old are you ?
Just turned 20.

That is insane. And awesome. And just out of curiosity how much research have you done on tarantulas? And do you have anymore tanks than that 15 gallon one?
I'm on Arachnoboards and similar at least five hours a day researching things, if that gives you an idea. I've kept snakes and all sorts of critters and have a bunch of mini tanks, although since I'm getting slings they'll most likely be kept in food containers.

Transient

Arachnosquire
Yeah. I'm sure this community would ream me up and down if I said I got an OBT, T. blondi, or a Pokie etc.

thruthetrees

Arachnosquire
Funny & Inspiring story :D

I loved reading about your adventure... It made me smile and laugh :) I remember being naughty like that as a kid... I hid a pet rat and iguana once--I had not planned the hiding part well enough and was caught quickly. When she found them, she was mad but kind of realized how much it meant to me because I had gone through such trouble to get them...

Because you are 20--I don't think it's going to end as badly as others say. If you were a minor, I would have agreed with that (your mom could toss em in the street--since you are not a minor, you would be able to deal with it so that the spiders don't suffer!).

You have done your research, you have picked out some very great species and, like you said--worst case scenario you can sell them. Maybe you can attach a note to the tank, that if she finds them, not to flip out--that you already have some homes lined up if she's unwilling to negotiate and to please let you know before doing anything (ie: not just dumping the tank outside) and maybe include some info (ie: that the bite from those species would be like a mosquito, they're very docile, etc..).

I live with my parents right now (I am 26) and my mom was initially very unhappy about having Ts in her house because she was absolutely creeped out by them--she knew that I wouldn't listen had she said no and realized they matter (makes a difference in my life, gives me joy--helps relieve stress and is therapeutic!). Just yesterday I was pairing some P. regalis for the first time and I called her in to borrow her camera... she was so amazed w/the process that I actually had to tell her to leave the room (she was hovering right over the tank to get a better look & photos w/her massive camera).... now she is even a little interested in seeing the spiders....

Perhaps your mom will warm up to them if she does happen to find them... And maybe you could start talking to her about why you want one, what it means to you--maybe she will change her mind. I didn't think my mom would ever warm up to them...

Thank you so much for sharing the story.... I really needed the laugh and the reminder... sometimes, we need a little shenanigans in life!

And, I wish you luck :D Today, you are my hero for accomplishing your quest! :)

TaylorW

Arachnopeon
if your 20 years old your parents need to give you your space and let you start making your own decisions. your gonna be on your own, and making your own life choices so the sooner they give you your space the better.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm sorry, but it must be the generation gap. I did that stuff when I was a teenager. The short period of time I lived there as a young adult, I obeyed the rules they set forth. I was grateful to have a place to live. Nobody OWED me anything, and I did not act as if they did. I held a job, paid a small rent to my folks, and when I wanted to do things not allowed, I found a place of my own. Yes I had a choice. That choice was live by the rules, or find another place if I chose not to. Play this like an adult, if you expect to be treated like one.
A recent turn of events could lead to a temporary stay at their home again. I hope this does not happen, but if so I am fully welcome. I know my animals are not welcome in the house, though a plan is in place for that as well.
I believe you mentioned a shed. Is this heated to appropriate temps? If so, there you go. I am using that setup for all my animals.
Sorry to sound like a grumpy old man. If my son pulled something like that it would go over badly. Inverts are cool, but substitute yappy little dog, and I would come unglued. He did convince me on a cat, which I also don't like. If they snuck it in, the story would not have had the same ending.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I would just know how far you can push it, there is a difference between not having a bed time and bringing in pets. I know of a certain member on these boards who has a bed time and is about a bug away from getting kicked out of his parents house.

Stepping down from my soap box I bought 4 slings my parents still don't know about. Just be ready to accept the heat when it comes.

Ben Oliver

Arachnopeon
if you are getting T's that is great just make sure that your parents won't have a heart attack if they happen to see them. my dad is terrified of spiders and most likey would have another heat attack and my mom is even worse with snakes. my parents live in Florida and I live in michigan so i only see them every so often. well good luck with your critters