T injuries?

r34ch

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone,

After a week hiding away my T finally emerged from its hiding place. I found this unusual as it loves to sit in the open or climb about. I initially thought it was because I had left a cigar near the enclosure by accident (despite being on another shelf and seal wrapped) and after I moved it my T eventually came out. But then I noticed on the bottom of its abdomen two marks. I think they both look like cut marks, with the one on the left looking much more recent (it had an almost shiny appearance to it).

In my Ts enclosure is a large rock with a few sharpish protruding nubs where my T has made home, as the store in question ran out of cork bark. Now I'm thinking my poor T is cutting itself on this rock as its is a skiddish species. (Brachypelma boehmei)

So a number of questions:
1. Are these indeed cut marks?
2. Should I replace the rock with a cork bark shelter?
3. Should I be worried of these cuts?
4. Can tobacco near (meters away) a T really affect it?

On a final note, is it possible to sex my T from this picture?

Thanks for any replies

Attachments

r34ch

Arachnopeon
I thought they had two sets of book lungs? If they aren't cuts then that only looks like one set to me although I'm still an amateur.

So its also normal for them to look different?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
You can see both sets in your picture.
Google "tarantula anatomy ventral" and you should find a diagram that'll show you where to look. I'd give you a link but I'm on my phone.

They look perfectly normal to me.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Hobo is 100% correct, those are booklungs and you can see both sets in your picture. Your spider is fine.

As for the rock, personally, yes I would replace it with a cork bark hide or something similar.

Tobacco is unhealthy for anyone/anything, so no, it's not ideal to be smoking near them.

r34ch

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks hobo and Shell, I've learnt something new yet again :)

And I don't actually smoke in the same room as my T, I just had an unopened cigar on the shelf below its enclosure.