pre molt?

darksidemxer

Arachnopeon
so my first question is a reassurance and kinda "i told you so" to my fiancee lol my OBT is bald on a few legs and going alil bald on his but..does this mean he is going into a premolt? i just noticed this today cuz i sadly had to change out his substrate cuz my mother trying to be nice made a mess with water and just soaked the floor of the cage. but after i got him into the cup i noticed the missing hair which sparked the debate between me and the mrs.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Balding is not a sign of premolt. OW species don't have urticating hairs either so the only way for them to lose hair is if they scraped up against something. How big is it? Post some pics.

Also, soaking the substrate isn't a cause to change it out.

darksidemxer

Arachnopeon
i felt it was when it had standing water. she really flooded it lol. hes bout 2 maybe 3 inches. this is my only photo. its from a couple weeks ago though :(

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, first things first, is you have wood chips, which is a no no, and that will easily scrape hair off. It will also cause standing water. You need to get coco fiber or peat moss or a mix of the two. These types of substrate will absorb the water and you won't have to replace it. Post some farther away shots of the enclosure.

darksidemxer

Arachnopeon
i just swapped to coconut substrate. i ordered it offline cuz it was cheap...dear god it too forever geeting here! and i was gonna wait to change it for alil longer but the water sped it up. i figured the wood chips were bad lol its what came with him when i rescued him from the petshop. well lol live and learn. he seems much happier with his new bedding. i wish my gbb would come down and experience her new bedding

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
Please do not buy T's from petshops any more. Captive bred T's are the way to go. There is ample supply out there. Anyways, good job on changing the substrate right away. Your T will thank you.

darksidemxer

Arachnopeon
imdeadly, i got him from a closing store. if i didt take him home they were going to squish him because no1 wanted him. so he was free, and i saved him from a horrible death lol. not bad for my first T. hes healthy though got a huge fatarse and my new gbb is the same cept the pet shop i got her from was great. great people very knowledge able. gave a care sheet with the tarantula. i was really impressed unlike ever other 1 ive been in.

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
I can understand the rescue. Probably a good choice to save the poor thing. I always try to get peeps to avoid the pet stores. Not many good outcomes come from T's in pet stores. Of course you know that since they were going to squish the little fella. Props.