G.rosea question.

genius89

Arachnopeon
ive had my g.rosea for about 5 months now and i was just wondering why does she lay out webbing on the floor when she feeds ?

arhamy

Arachnopeon
i was wondering the samething i just got a g rosea and it does the samething

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
I think the majority of them do it. My rosie does it when she feeds but she also does it all day everyday anytime. I have noticed when she is feeding that she sometimes webs while she eats and then pats the food down to her new webbing and continues eating as if to immobilize the moving parts of her prey while eating it. I don't think they like legs moving erratically while they eat it.

Sage

Arachnopeon
I could be wrong but I thought it was sort of like a 'trip wire' that sends vibrations and alerts the rosie that there is food nearby. I have noticed too that sometimes they lay web down to roll up bunches of substrate and move it around that way for easy carrying. They can be interesting little critters.

Verneph

Arachnosquire
My rosea does this all the time too. Some call it a "feeding mat", but as for why they do it I have no idea. But it is typical rosea behavior.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
+1 sage........ im pretty sure youre right with the trip wire analogy. when ts eat and do the "happy dance" and web they are making a feeding mat. my ts do it all the time and they usually do it by the entrance of their hides where they eat. the pray hits this so called "trip wire" and the t knows where the items are and can pounce even without knowing where the cricket is because of the mat. sorta like a dinner bell.

coldvaper

Arachnosquire
Yeah mine started doing it again recently, she stopped for a many years but after this last molt she has been doing the mat thing. Also one of my OBTs did this when I first got it.

krbrown1994

Arachnopeon
I think many tarantulas do this to make the bolus itself, making it easier for the T to eat

genius89

Arachnopeon
i also noticed my female Avicularia Avicularia does the same but only on the sides of her terrarium. normal behavior i assume ?

smoothie4l

Arachnopeon
It works like a trap for any in coming perdators/prey, the animal/insect eather gets stuck on the webbing or the vibration alert the tarantula that somthing is coming. I'm guessing she does it while she is eating so that she doesn't have to worry about anything else sneaking up on her.

ArkanoviTigrovi

Arachnosquire
It works like a trap for any in coming perdators/prey, the animal/insect eather gets stuck on the webbing or the vibration alert the tarantula that somthing is coming. I'm guessing she does it while she is eating so that she doesn't have to worry about anything else sneaking up on her.
Do the webs really capture anything? My G. rosea's webs are not sticky at all and crickets can just walk on them no problem.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Do the webs really capture anything? My G. rosea's webs are not sticky at all and crickets can just walk on them no problem.
They alert the spider to the vibrations of possible prey items. The spider itself, does the capturing.

Webbing once they already have a prey item is also extremely common and normal.

gashadokuro

Arachnopeon
I'm still waiting for my t to eat. I've had it for a couple of months already and if it feels a cricket it'll just back away from it. No webbing yet, except the time the light hit the tank a certain way and could see a faint layer of it.